306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Anyone cut their gear stick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've bought a new gear nob, but the gaiter doesn't reach it or stay up so there is an ugly metal bar on show, I was thinking of cutting my gear stick by like 2 inches to make it look better, also feels a bit high too. Is there any downside to this?

The only thing I found on Google was the 106 owners forum saying the gear stick has to be a certain height for MOT? sounds like a bunch of jibbery joo to me but running it past you guys!
I know of plenty of people who have cut their gearsticks down. It obviously marginally increases the amount of force you use to change gear, but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

If you don't particularly want to cut it down, I'd suggest pulling the gaiter base up over the top of your knob, and then cable tying the gaiter to the underside of the knob (I believe this is how they came from the factory anyway - there is a lip over which you can cable tie it). Then refit the gaiter base and it should sort it...
I hd to take that part off with undo able damage using a hacksaw haha, then obviously wouldn't have fit over it, might have to just buy a bigger gaiter, are the gaiters hard to fit? Was a p take in my 106 to keep it down
Took me about 10 minutes to do my gaiter. Theres a chap on ebay from nottingham does them in real leather for £5 with colour stitching
Have you got a picture of yours to show? Smile
No cut it down, if you have a quick shift makes no difference to gear changes.

Then do as ed said tie the gaiter to the knob and of you go.
(15-03-2013, 12:11 PM)aaron_one Wrote: [ -> ]Have you got a picture of yours to show? Smile

Theres a picture in my project thread
(15-03-2013, 12:14 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: [ -> ]No cut it down, if you have a quick shift makes no difference to gear changes.

Then do as ed said tie the gaiter to the knob and of you go.

So you recommend I cut it down? I would prefer a shorter 'nob' so to speak
Yea I cut mine down had no issues. Then fitted a quick shift at a later date.

Think there are some interior shots in my project thread.
(15-03-2013, 12:20 PM)aaron_one Wrote: [ -> ]I would prefer a shorter 'nob' so to speak

I get like that sometimes, sick of standing on the end of it!
Before
[Image: n528250014_4725654_720.jpg]
[Image: NewImage.gif]
[Image: Photo0343.gif]

After
[Image: d27f8b5b.jpg]
[Image: 42042a59.jpg]
(15-03-2013, 12:34 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I cut mine down had no issues. Then fitted a quick shift at a later date.

Think there are some interior shots in my project thread.

How much did you cut it by?
No idea you should be able to guess from my pics.
What's on the blue switches
Missiles, nos and laser canons.
(15-03-2013, 02:41 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: [ -> ]Missiles, nos and laser canons.

Lol!
I cut mine down today, brushed alloy jdm style knob, looks good! Great changes are so much shorter now, a tiny bit more effort involved changing but I'm not a fag so I can deal with it!
How much did you take off?
Not too sure, 2 inches?
Yea that sounds about right. Post a pic.

And get a quick shift and pug racing linkages.
I'll try get a pic up, can you upload pics from a phone such as htc?