306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Where is the high level brake light fed from?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just MOT'd my 306 estate and one of the items it failed on was the inoperative high level brake light.

I opened up the cover to discover 4 of 5 lamps blown. Lamps now replaced but still no joy. I've checked the Haynes manual for fuse panel details but the high level brake light isn't listed by description. Both regular brake lights work so presume it must be fed from another source.

Any ideas?
Pretty sure the connection is behind the driver side C pillar
If you can't sort it for mot then just unplug and remove it. Can't be tested if its no longer there Wink
Cant fail on the high level one...only advise iirc...

but it dont make sense to be a fuse or connection issue if one of the bulbs is working?!
(11-03-2013, 09:16 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]Cant fail on the high level one...only advise iirc...

but it dont make sense to be a fuse or connection issue if one of the bulbs is working?!

Sorry, maybe I wasn't too clear. 1 of the 5 lamps was still in working order, the other 4 were blown, however the brake light didn't come on at all and still doesn't even with new lamps.

Spike,

I heard the very same thing from my oppo who is the manager at the garage.

Piggy,

The "inoperative high level brake light" is cited as one of the reasons for refusal of issuing an MOT Cert.
so in what way would it not fail if you unplugged it?!

grrr I get soooo angry with MOTs...absolute waste of time and money. they do not make a car safe and are just stupid.

you could hide all sorts of seriously dangerous faults with covers and being a bit kanny but apparently a high level brake light not working makes the vehicle unroadworthy...geeeeeeeeese....sorry rant over

its plugged in on the right as you open the boot.

get a multimeter and check voltage...my bet would be earth or connection in body to boot loom...one fuse would cover more than just that
Not all cars have a high level brake light same as not all cars have front fogs if it isn't fitted it can't be tested Wink but if it is fitted they must work

Similar to you don't need a spare wheel but if its fitted and bald then its a fail Wink
(11-03-2013, 09:42 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]so in what way would it not fail if you unplugged it?!

grrr I get soooo angry with MOTs...absolute waste of time and money. they do not make a car safe and are just stupid.

you could hide all sorts of seriously dangerous faults with covers and being a bit kanny but apparently a high level brake light not working makes the vehicle unroadworthy...geeeeeeeeese....sorry rant over

its plugged in on the right as you open the boot.

get a multimeter and check voltage...my bet would be earth or connection in body to boot loom...one fuse would cover more than just that

More a case of unplug it and TAKE IT OUT. It cant fail the MOT if its not there. Wink
spare tyre can be bald and still pass
(11-03-2013, 09:47 PM)spike2002 Wrote: [ -> ]Not all cars have a high level brake light same as not all cars have front fogs if it isn't fitted it can't be tested Wink but if it is fitted they must work

Similar to you don't need a spare wheel but if its fitted and bald then its a fail Wink

Stupid rules made by stupid people! Unless rules have changed I thought mot regs state 2 working brake lights, the high level 1 isn't fitted on all cars so does not have to work...

My tester actually swapped a bald tyre off the car and put it as a spare, just advised me to change it asap... Good when you know the tester :-)
The light cover and lamp holder are currently removed and will be until apres MOT!

Piggy, don't worry about your rant, if you can't do it on a forum, where can you do it?
Or, to get it through the MOT just link it straight into one of the rear brake lights.. Pikey but it'll work, get you through the MOT then you have time to fix it.
The car flew thru the MOT, however when talking to the MOT Tester (Different one to the original tester) he stated that:

"If the high level light isn't working and the wiring cannot be seen to be connected, then they must assume that it has been disconnected and therefore cannot fail it for this reason."

His words, however I'm guessing this wasn't a view that the original tester shares! Given that they work in the same garage I'd expect a little more parity in the testing regime.