306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Normal turbo noise?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning

OK so it's kinda irrelevant as the car will be going before the 19th of the month.

But since the exhaust fell off, theres two very odd turbo noises - but only other turbo cars I've had was the Golfs so might just be normal for HDi's.....just interested really. Smile

First is like when you put your finger in a fan, a kind of constant clattering noticeably audible over the normal fan noise, but seeing as I have a completely stock intake, I really doubt theres anything in there! Confused

The other is like the noise when all your change rattles in your pocket as you walk, you know that repeated "k'ch'nk" noise....turbo bearings maybe??

As said, I won't be fixing whatevers broken now, just interested incase I come across the same noises again. Smile

Cheers
Tom
Somthink not right there mate sounds like u got bearing problem or bottom end knok

Mine is just a nice spooling sound.
TBH mate I'm surprised you get 50mpg with it making noises like that. Sounds fooked. Get a video of it, it's easier than describing it.
(03-03-2013, 08:46 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: [ -> ]TBH mate I'm surprised you get 50mpg with it making noises like that. Sounds fooked. Get a video of it, it's easier than describing it.

Phone video cameras only seem to pick up the diesel knock. Dodgy

I know its fooked, in many various ways, which is why its going, I was just wondering what had actually failed this time.

Credit where its due though, it has dragged all sorts of shit about in the last month, and despite most of it being broken, and it costing about £10 a day in fuel at about 42mpg for the last two weeks, it has actually managed it. lol
You'll miss it when it's gone.
That noise is your turbine/compressor hitting the side of the housing, ie bearings are fooked and turbo is dead. Will be ruining your mpg and power (as if we didn't already know that Wink ).
Mine just whistles a bit on low boost which probably means its fooked too
You can normally hear a slight whistle as they come on boost, more so if you've modified your exhaust, nothing to worry about i shouldn't think. Can always check to see that oil is flowing freely from the inlet and outlet pipes to be sure.
(03-03-2013, 10:12 AM)Poodle Wrote: [ -> ]That noise is your turbine/compressor hitting the side of the housing, ie bearings are fooked and turbo is dead. Will be ruining your mpg and power (as if we didn't already know that Wink ).

Ah that makes perfect sense! Cheers poodle. Smile

And Jonny, yes I will miss it when its gone...its great having a car that you don't care abour, literally anything goes in/on it and I couldn't care less about bashing doors, scraping past hedges, getting air on speedbumps etc etc. lol