306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Sealed Vs Ported Subwoofer Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Purely a discussion thread.

What is your preference and why? Explain yourself don't just put "insert box type" for the win and leave it at that.

I'm not putting any of my personal opinions or knowledge in till we have some views from other people so has not to colour the discussion from the get go
Depends on what you listen to really, I had a fecking great jbl 18" in a ported box was fecking awsome for old school jungle with long baselines, but preferred my 12" ported for fast punchy bass, and that was a cheapy!! Think nial uses that now, very impressive for the money
Pipercross Viper induction & 3" Mongoose exhaust is the only sound system I need Wink
Good point about speaker sizes and the affect of how much air they move. A 12" is a very good allrounder. Smaller sizes bass is tighter bigger sizes bass is louder

What you listen to also makes a difference to what you would buy.

(01-03-2013, 03:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]Pipercross Viper induction & 3" Mongoose exhaust is the only sound system I need Wink

yours has extra tapping apparently? ninja
(01-03-2013, 03:37 PM)Kwik Wrote: [ -> ]Good point about speaker sizes and the affect of how much air they move. A 12" is a very good allrounder. Smaller sizes bass is tighter bigger sizes bass is louder

What you listen to also makes a difference to what you would buy.

(01-03-2013, 03:33 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: [ -> ]Pipercross Viper induction & 3" Mongoose exhaust is the only sound system I need Wink

yours has extra tapping apparently? ninja

Its the GTI6 version of a metronome
I've got 2 12 inch db audio raptors in seperate sealed boxes I prefers them listen to lots of stuff like cradle of filth rammenstein that sort of stuff sound nice and tight
(01-03-2013, 03:52 PM)Willo Wrote: [ -> ]I've got 2 12 inch db audio raptors in seperate sealed boxes I prefers them listen to lots of stuff like cradle of filth rammenstein that sort of stuff sound nice and tight

Cool how comes you went sealed?
Was advised the sealed box would be more suitable for the type of music I listen to would give me tighter bass for the short punchy bass in the guitar riffs
Your advise was good but you could easily use two 8's and reclaim some boot space and have the same response for your type of music. Still sealed but if you listened to dance/electronic(dubstep/dnb/house) or rnb/rab on occasion i would say stick with 12's
I have a ported 12 and it sounds alot better than my sealed 10. I dont know why haha
(01-03-2013, 04:14 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I have a ported 12 and it sounds alot better than my sealed 10. I dont know why haha

By better do you mean louder or more accurate? and what brands are they?
Missus likes dubs rep and dance I got an estate so not worried bout boot space tbh
Im my car I have 2 12" hiphonics (I think) sealed because that's what they came in lol. And the missus has a 15" inphase ported. I like the 15" because never had one before so it's a nice loud bass. But my 12"s sound alot better IMO.
(01-03-2013, 04:18 PM)Kwik Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2013, 04:14 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I have a ported 12 and it sounds alot better than my sealed 10. I dont know why haha

By better do you mean louder or more accurate? and what brands are they?

Louder more accurate sounded overall like it was better quality. The 12 (better one) is a vibe active sub. And the 10 was an Edge again an active sub.
I used to have 2 12" in a sealed box. Was perfect for me IMO as I used to listen to a lot of clubland stuff but I tend to prefer heavy basslines and bassdrops these days so use 2 15's in a ported box. Mainly because that's just the box's they came in
@Tom that would be down to the brands why they sound so different edge is inferior to vibe so the vibe will sound better.

@HDIKyle you fitted 2 15's in a 306 boot? Can you use it? the boot i mean lol