306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Exhaust noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love the sound of my exhaust but its so boomy inside its unreal! Ive heard that heat wrapping it can make a difference to this so my question is is this true and how much will i need to go from the cat to the back box?
Soundproof under carpets?
(28-02-2013, 11:05 PM)Jake Wrote: [ -> ]Soundproof under carpets?

Already done. Worst case is, i get longlife to fit a different back box seeing as its a straight through at the moment lol
I used 5m and that wrapped the Nads side exit twice. From tip to bend
oh not much then. i was thinking i would need about 30m lol.
(28-02-2013, 11:08 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-02-2013, 11:05 PM)Jake Wrote: [ -> ]Soundproof under carpets?

Already done. Worst case is, i get longlife to fit a different back box seeing as its a straight through at the moment lol
I think that covers the problem right there lol
I think a big dose of mtfu is the solution tbh....

That or stop being a peugeot sport tart (admittedly as I was) and ditch the sports cat. Makes a fair difference in noise imo...
Ed you haven't been in my car yet. Just wait lol

Seriously though, because its so boomy from such A low rpm, you feel like a saxo chav driving it through towns and everyone looking expecting tk see a scooby or something lol
Lol, you're not going to restrict the noise just by wrapping it. Change it over and just use the sports exhaust for when you go on Track days
(01-03-2013, 07:24 AM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]Ed you haven't been in my car yet. Just wait lol

Seriously though, because its so boomy from such A low rpm, you feel like a saxo chav driving it through towns and everyone looking expecting tk see a scooby or something lol

I don't understand why it's that boomy though; I'd heard bad things about Magnex and Mongoose, but imo they're brilliant. Bit boomy at 3k when going up hills (ie under load), but apart from that they are both a pretty perfect combo of noise when you want it and not too much when you don't...

I'd always thought longlife were quieter, but then I spose it's entirely up to you when you spec it up...

Have you tried a winpipe on it? Just to confirm if the boom is in fact just the cat... That is the problem with leaving them in, it does make it a far boomier tone, rather than a nice rasp...
The boom is most likely the back box in nialls car I reckon, tis fairly chronic when you're in the back
(01-03-2013, 08:11 AM)sammykins Wrote: [ -> ]The boom is most likely the back box in nialls car I reckon, tis fairly chronic when you're in the back

Hmmn, but the mongoose and the magnex were/are both straigh through systems, and the magnex particularly really has hardly any baffles. I'd almost put money on it being the mid-box; the system I had on my diablo (the one grant has now) had a tiny midbox and a fair sized straight through back-box and it was HORRENDUSLY boomy...
Mid box? Errr yeah about that lol

Ed its a 2.75" straight through from the cat to backbox. Think it just needs a new backbox lol
Why not add in a sports mid box then? Should make it a bit quiter and i very much doubt you will notice any difference in restriction??
Mid box will quieten down the higher frequencies, get them to put a non straight thru back box on it, they're designed to silence the deeper exhaust tones
When I had the cat, straight-trough and little back box on the gti it was so loud! but a horrid deep boom.

It's A LOT quieter with the decat and midbox. (my ears bled with decat, straight-through and little back box!)
The car's been dynomatted as well, I know you disagree Niall, but I know it makes the sounds worse in the car as it feels like the sound is vibrating around the car.
Yeah I think I'll just get a different backbox on it tbh. It's my fault for asking for a sport system. He said it wouldn't be too loud! Errrr don't think so lol
just change to a de-cat, changes the boom to rasp!
(01-03-2013, 11:54 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: [ -> ]just change to a de-cat, changes the boom to rasp!

Agreed!
Disagreed!!!

Change it for a kia , much friendlier Smile
(01-03-2013, 12:16 PM)puglove Wrote: [ -> ]Disagreed!!!

Change it for a kia , much friendlier Smile

Disagreed!
just to add a little to this thread, I fitted a backbox on mine yesterday and ran down to Matts to pick a sunroof up
mine was really booming on the way down, however, on the way back up with the seats down and the shelf out
it wasn't at all bad......... ??????? im gonna try extending the backbox a little and see if I poke it out a bit more
it might loose the booming..... clutching at straws really cos I butchered my std backbox for mounts and the flange...

have you felt the weight of a std backbox????? holy moly!!!!!

Jamie
How old is the exhaust Niall? My Longlife was HO-rendus when I first got it, so much so that I was considering taking it back there and then but it's quietened down a lot since then. I think it's where the steel is shiney brand new it resonates like a bastad, as it gets sooted up it obviously dulls the reflection of the soundwaves.
I've got my Scorpion backbox if you want it? And I've got my win-pipe modified front section complete with stock mid section...

I rekon it sounded pretty awesome for a GTi6, not boomy at all, ridiculously raspy and bangy...
I know a guy who'd be interested in the back box ruan if niall isnt ThumbsUp
cheers Ruan but no thanks. Mine is one complete welded system so think the easiest and cheapest option is to just go to longlife for a new back box