306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Help any body needed to fit the steering rack boot 306 hdi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've managed to get the track rod end nut of. Also pump stud nut of as well and removed the old rack boot on the passanger side. So everything ready to fit the new rack boot now but I'm stuck at the moment.

I've got a universal rack boot to go on. I cant get it over the stud so Im after somebody who can do that part.

Below is just an idea what was the plan or to try and change it over.

Firstly remove the trackrod, then undo the ram nut and remove the ram, once these are out of the way remove the old gaiter, the new gaiter was bought from local partco store, a universal gaiter which is more stretchy than the genuine part. The new gaiter was left in boiled water for a few minutes just to make it even more flexible, slide the gaiter onto the rack upto the stud bolt, now this is where patience is needed, stretch the first part of the gaiter over the stud l found putting a spoon inside the gaiter and onto the stud head stopped the stud piercing through, once the gaiter has pasted the stud it was just a case of securing the ends with cable ties (supplied in the kit) and reassembling ram and trackrod.
moved this to the correct section Smile
(28-02-2013, 05:56 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]moved this to the correct section Smile

Cool thanks.
Keep in there chap. Either that stud comes out or the boot stretches.

Servicebox really isn't clear, it appears to show a nut but no stud. i'll examine my spare rack this weekend.

Got a pic of what's left? Tried extracting it with two locked nuts?
(28-02-2013, 09:39 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in there chap. Either that stud comes out or the boot stretches.

Servicebox really isn't clear, it appears to show a nut but no stud. i'll examine my spare rack this weekend.

Got a pic of what's left? Tried extracting it with two locked nuts?

Ive not tried 2 nuts yet I would have to get anther to try it.

The stud is for the pump ram arm to hold on then the nut goes on to it.

Im wandering has anybody removing the stud of before?
I managed to get the new boot rack rubber on it took 4 hours in the end a big job.
I had a look at the spare rack on the end, that stud isn't for removing. Snapped my stilsons in half trying to undo it. Dismantled that side tie rod and it appears to be integral to the shrunk fit component of the rack, so stretching it over seemed to be the only bet anyway.
(03-03-2013, 12:37 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: [ -> ]I managed to get the new boot rack rubber on it took 4 hours in the end a big job.

How did you manage it in the end
Stretching the boot over the stud seems to be the only way.
(04-03-2013, 12:12 PM)Willo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2013, 12:37 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: [ -> ]I managed to get the new boot rack rubber on it took 4 hours in the end a big job.

How did you manage it in the end

I made sure the track rod end nut was ofthen the ram stud nut was of along with the ram as well. Then I put the rubber boot in hot water for afew mins. I got a hard bit of plastic like a crisp packet but stronger like you keep pc ram parts in silver clear stuff which is hard to rip. I put abit of grease inside the boot and on the the plastic cover which sticks out over the stud. So then everything was ready to fit the new rack boot then. I pulled the rack boot all the way in to the stud. Then pulled it over to get it started facing the wheel side. Once over underneath the car one hand to pull the boot over then anther hand to pull it over more. It took ages doing this. But a easyer way I used the extension bar on my rachet and put that inside wheel side in the rack boot near the ram stud. Then turned that so it made the boot push out more over the stud which worked far better.

Its just knowing how to do it because it can be hard work with very little space. But now I know its abit easyer and aot less work.