306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Stripping a Loom?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After breaking the car I've got the loom leftover, kept it as I know it's worth money. From what I hear it's better if it's stripped, worth more.

Anyone have any good ideas for stripping the wires? Atm I'm using wire cutters and a stanley knife, taking forever and I'll end up bleeding soon lol
TBH its not worth the effort. Just weigh it in as it is.
Nah its defo worth stripping it all out if you have a full loom.

IIRC with all the shit on its about £300/tonne, if you get it back to just the wire (no tape, plugs, connectors or conduit) then its worth up to about £1600/tonne

It does take an age, possibly an hour or more and it will blunt your cutters if you have shit ones but defo worth it.

Also starters, wiper motors, alternators and even window motors are worth more separate. motor is about £2500/tonne but if you strip the copper out its about £5500/tonne
are all 306 car looms the same? ie having extras in so that poverty sped 306s can have those extras in too.
what some of the rover boys do is remove those extras out of the loom from a scrap car and retro fit them in. ie looms for electric wing mirrors/ window and central locking.
(26-02-2013, 05:41 PM)procta Wrote: [ -> ]are all 306 car looms the same? ie having extras in so that poverty sped 306s can have those extras in too.
what some of the rover boys do is remove those extras out of the loom from a scrap car and retro fit them in. ie looms for electric wing mirrors/ window and central locking.

iirc all 306s have the same loom, I have random plugs all over my car that connect to nothing
so you can just drop a petrol or derv engine in with out messing on with the car loom too? just unplug the engine looms and swop over?
they have different looms madeup from different sections
engine loom
dash loom
body loom
fan loom
airbag loom
ect ect

so not all looms on all the 306 range are the same
(26-02-2013, 06:15 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]they have different looms madeup from different sections
engine loom
dash loom
body loom
fan loom
airbag loom
ect ect

so not all looms on all the 306 range are the same

ah, i didnt know that. so you can replace bits and pieces, i may look at sorcing a Phase3 loom to repair mine, i have done a loom change before. a few days work but not a nightmere.
(26-02-2013, 05:39 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Nah its defo worth stripping it all out if you have a full loom.

IIRC with all the shit on its about £300/tonne, if you get it back to just the wire (no tape, plugs, connectors or conduit) then its worth up to about £1600/tonne

It does take an age, possibly an hour or more and it will blunt your cutters if you have shit ones but defo worth it.

Also starters, wiper motors, alternators and even window motors are worth more separate. motor is about £2500/tonne but if you strip the copper out its about £5500/tonne

It wont be worth it, what you gona get out of it? £20-25???

And strip it the way sparkies strip it!! set it on fire
Depends what else you've got to do with your time really, for those with sweet FA to do it's probably worth it. Wink
I find stripping a loom actually quite relaxing so its no bother, they just sit in my scrap bin till I can be bothered to strip them out.

About £20 is right but you probably wont even get a tenner if you don't strip it so its hardly worth taking it to the scrap yard (depending on how far away the yard is)
(26-02-2013, 07:14 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]I find stripping a loom actually quite relaxing so its no bother, they just sit in my scrap bin till I can be bothered to strip them out.

About £20 is right but you probably wont even get a tenner if you don't strip it so its hardly worth taking it to the scrap yard (depending on how far away the yard is)

So what im saying is its going to take a few hours to strip it properly so youv basicaly made 6.66 and hour

or spend 10mins stripping out the crap and get £5 the equivilant of £50 an hour, i know its not but the 2hours 50mins saved could be making money eles where, you know if you want the most cost efectivness out of everything

Thats the way i see things anyway. just MO
you could also try burning off all the plastics so your just left with the copper but that f*cking stinks!
(26-02-2013, 07:22 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]you could also try burning off all the plastics so your just left with the copper but that f*cking stinks!

I already said this!!!
Once you've burned it off though its classed as dirty copper and wont be worth as much, or so I've always thought
just warm it right up then strip it...peel right off
I got £10 for a VR6 loom. Un-stripped.

Quote:Also starters, wiper motors, alternators and even window motors are worth more separate. motor is about £2500/tonne but if you strip the copper out its about £5500/tonne

5 years ago it was £5.50 a kilo. Its more like £2 a kilo now.
I cut the plugs off the Golf loom and left the insulation on (broke my bloody side cutters and blunted the hacksaw in the process)....like f*ck was I stripping all the insulation as well lol. Was about £15-20 iirc. Really not worth the hassle stripping it imo, not even sure it was worth cutting the plugs tbh!
Hmm might have to strip my loom and weigh it in with some of the old copper pipe I've got in the garage then!
Shot i wish i did this with the blaze lol try dipping in some chemical that will soften the plastic and peel
(26-02-2013, 08:20 PM)306carter Wrote: [ -> ]5 years ago it was £5.50 a kilo. Its more like £2 a kilo now.

Nah I've weighed clean copper inside the last year and got 5500 a tonne ish
Was taking forever because of the really small wires so I'm not going to bother. Just cutting the plugs, wraps and clips off but the thicker wires I'm stripping as they're easy.