306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Brake pad/caliper problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed the other day, one of my front discs only seems to be be shiny around the edge, and rusty in the middle, which i'm guessing means my pads aren't making full contact. Picture below:

[Image: 3e294d3e-bd2b-4137-b858-d730c65b7518.jpg]

The other side is fine.. Anyone else had the same problem? I admit I haven't taken it apart yet to look, worried that a pad is knackered, these have only been on the car about two months, and they are Mintex extreme pads, obsolete now but very expensive none the less!
if they were mine id take the caliper off clean and grease up the slider pins, and replace the disc and pad, it could just be a crappy pad, were they pattern part? (cheap)......the calipers dont normally pull out of shape....they work, or seize up.....
The sliders were free and moved smoothly when I fitted the pads. And as in the original post the are expensive mintex top end pads.
Take the pads out and rough them up, make sure theyre nice and flat
Had that on a jeep a couple of weeks ago, calipers were siezed.
In all honesty, I doubt it's any of the above although they're worth checking.

I suspect your pads are a tight fit in the carrier, and the caliper is forcing that pad to pivot rather than slide, hence wearing on the outside where the force is being applied. Take the pads out the caliper, wire brush the carrier where they locate, and be prepared to file a little off the edges.
(26-02-2013, 10:06 AM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]In all honesty, I doubt it's any of the above although they're worth checking.

I suspect your pads are a tight fit in the carrier, and the caliper is forcing that pad to pivot rather than slide, hence wearing on the outside where the force is being applied. Take the pads out the caliper, wire brush the carrier where they locate, and be prepared to file a little off the edges.

Exaclty this ^^^^^^^^

I had this problem on my 266 calipers. Kept munching pads and discs. Couldnt for the life of me work out what it was. Anyway turned out there was a big lump of corrosion where should slide. Which ment they would slide so far then the bottom would get stuck but the top carried on slidding cousing the pad to pivot and only contact the top. This put all thr braking force on the top of the pad and shredding them.

Id advise a "pencil" wire brush bit in a drill the clean it up. The a mini belt sander (if you can get one. You can hire them) then copper slick the feck out of them. Oh and replace pad and disc depending on how bad the ware is.
Cheers guys, will have a look soon, have a week off coming up.
Filing the edge of the pad is just as easy. When I taught my mates how to do brakes I always told them to make sure the pads were nit tight, but equally not rattling good fits.

I go for clean carrier first, with furious wire brushing and a dremel, then resort to filing the pad if i'm not happy.
(26-02-2013, 01:34 PM)C2K Wrote: [ -> ]Filing the edge of the pad is just as easy. When I taught my mates how to do brakes I always told them to make sure the pads were nit tight, but equally not rattling good fits.

I go for clean carrier first, with furious wire brushing and a dremel, then resort to filing the pad if i'm not happy.

Pikey as feck .

As for the dremel thats a good idea actually ThumbsUp
It's not pikey, i've had factor pads before that are a tight fit in a spotless carrier. It happens sometimes - you're in no way affecting the structural integity of the pad.

As I said, clean carrier first then tickle the pads - you'd be surprised how little you need to.