306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Riding the 4th gear in hdi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it just me or does anyone else ride 4th gear I very rarely change to 5th unless I'm in the motorway I find it a pretty useless gear for just a/b roads
xud...5th for mpg win
You're not going fast enough on these B roads x
I don't go fast at all ATM lol cars to low for the roads where I live already ripped off the plate underneath drivers seat that shields the brake and fuel lines :-( bodged with cable ties ATM car needs a remap and raising 15 mm or so before I start driving it hard :-)
this may come across badly...do you live in Ireland??....the low bit was telling me so
Nope lol although it is Irish low I'm in Devon shite roads my mate who lowered it kinda misunderstood 60mm

It's nearer on the bumpstops
ouchy
Sometimes i do find myself just sitting in fourth on a/b roads. Id have it in 5th but 4th is quite a high gear anyway!
B road sprint...I dont spend long enough in a gear to say which one I use most!!
Suppose I'd stay in 4th as well to make sure got boost/engine braking if needed , 5 would still be low rpm at about 45ish wouldn't it?
yeh about that.
roads round my place are constant 3-4 changes, the sedan with its hdi box however will sit perfectly happy in 4th for the same stretch of road but then it has alot more lowdown torque so you can be lazy
Yeah I just don't put it in 5th just cos if I need to accelerate from 30 mph odd 5th is crap :-( 3rd and 4th I use 90% of the time
(24-02-2013, 10:47 AM)Jukie88 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope lol although it is Irish low I'm in Devon shite roads my mate who lowered it kinda misunderstood 60mm

Where in devon are you mate?

Also gotta love 4th in a gti Wink
(24-02-2013, 10:28 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]this may come across badly...do you live in Ireland??....the low bit was telling me so

Oi! enough of the paddy bashing Blush
(24-02-2013, 12:20 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-02-2013, 10:47 AM)Jukie88 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope lol although it is Irish low I'm in Devon shite roads my mate who lowered it kinda misunderstood 60mm

Where in devon are you mate?

Also gotta love 4th in a gti Wink

Just outside Plymouth pal
the dodgey end then Wink should have a local meet soon
MTFU and put your foot down
100mph in 4th then change epic pull in 5th then Smile
nothing wrong with the Devon roads you not in the right vehicle
The HDi gearing is crap imo, all too short, needs a 6th gear imo, and 4th needs to be a bit shorter to compensate for tards at 28mph which you have to drop to third for. Anything over 40mph I'm in 5th....so unless you're one of the annoying '38mph everywhere' people then I dunno why you're not using 5th lol! Tongue
I'm out on the sticks up on the moor the roads are harsh as fookery might loose a door or something the bumps are that harsh anything over 40mph and say goodbye to you're eyesight everything is just a blur Lolz
Man up, my roads terrible and I still manage 70 on it lol....I mean 60 obv. Tongue

But yeah, really getting annoyed by people that don't pass 40mph on the b road .I can only assume they've got nowhere to be and nothing to do....so if that's the case get off the road to let people get from a to b quickly!! Rolleyes

It's really been doing my head in this week haha! /rant
tom, your more economical in a higher gear using less throttle then a low gear like 5th and using loads of throttle...
So speed the f*ck up then lol. High gear, high speed, decent rpm (1500-2000) as economical as you're gonna get. Wink

Also 5th isn't a low gear...1 is before 5 mate, I'm sure you can count... Tongue
(24-02-2013, 12:20 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: [ -> ]Also gotta love 4th in a gti Wink

Naughty!
Above 25mph and im in 5th in my HDi, you lot are fannys lol
It depends what your power band is like because you can hang on to 4th till about 100 in the HDi but your better changing at about 3500 which is 80-90 (although still a good speed on a b road). That said on a standing 1/4 mile in a HDi I always had the conundrum towards the end of do i change into 5th to get back into the power band or do i stay in 4th till i cross the line so i dont loose time changing gear.

You know your going well in the HDi when you reach to go into 6th and realise you dont have 1 lol
Usually sat in 4th as in Devon most roads are full of people doing only 39 to 44mph :/ 5th is way to long to sit at anything below 47/50mph.
The hdi doesnt feel happy doing 30 in 4th, so i always end up driving 35 instead where it doesnt feel laboured. In my stage3 i keep it in 4th on b roads to accelerate out of the corners fast
I just wish it had a 6th gear! Or a taller 5th! Just for a bit more refinement at 8- er 70mph on the motorway, which is what the most of the 'flow' is doing anyway.

Still love the car all the same, but it's just another area where it could be better...
(25-02-2013, 10:32 AM)pugbug Wrote: [ -> ]The hdi doesnt feel happy doing 30 in 4th, so i always end up driving 35 instead where it doesnt feel laboured.

You sure? Mines fine dead on 30 (1100rpm), but literally any lower, even 1mph, and it labours. But 3rd is too low to sit in at 29mph lol, so I just end up tailgating people tbh, if they cant even get to 30 they deserve it lol.

(25-02-2013, 02:14 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: [ -> ]I just wish it had a 6th gear! Or a taller 5th! Just for a bit more refinement at 8- er 70mph on the motorway, which is what the most of the 'flow' is doing anyway.

Wow, we agree on something! lol
Pages: 1 2