306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Brakes question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have noticed that the brakes on my TD are getting a bit soft and unresponsive, I was just wondering how I can check the fluid/drain them and what is an upgrade option on them?

Thanks

Dan
open bonnet

open brake fluid res cap...look at fluid

take front wheels off...or through gap in alloy...inspect brake pads/discs.

maybe you need new brakes?!?!
Maybe. I know it has had a new caliper on the front. Think it's a job for me tomorrow, I only noticed it yesterday for the first time.

Is it better to go new pads/discs or upgrade to a gti setup?
If its had new calipers on the front they may of not been bleed fully and still have some air in the system
Cheers frosty. It was on when I bought the car on the drivers front so I'll check that.
sounds just like the pads are low.

check your rear cylinders too...these make brakes feel soft when they start to weep
Put something on the brake pedal to keep it down over night. It brings all the air out if there is any in there
^^^^^righto?!
(23-02-2013, 08:27 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]^^^^^righto?!

trust me it works if theres air in the system
so where does the air magically go?!
All i know is that i have done it a few times and has work. I presume it just goes back to the fluid resivor.

You don't believe me then?
(23-02-2013, 08:19 PM)Frosty Wrote: [ -> ]Put something on the brake pedal to keep it down over night. It brings all the air out if there is any in there

what it actualy does is force the air to the calipers and so when you bleed them it all comes out
I'm not 100% sure what it does but the times i've done it it has improved the brake pedal!

Could aslo be the rear brakes need adjusting if its drums? Just chucking another idea in the mixer to be moaned at Wink
What pads and discs to people recommend as an upgrade? I'm rather new to the 306 scene.
Just stick to Pagid, best OE quality. Don't buy a cheap make, because they never last as long. And it does sound like you have air in the system, get them bled properly and it will probably feel 10x better.

Piggy1987, any need for the sarcasm? Someone want's advice, just give it, no way to welcome someone to a forum. Just my opinion.

(23-02-2013, 04:00 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]open bonnet

open brake fluid res cap...look at fluid

take front wheels off...or through gap in alloy...inspect brake pads/discs.

maybe you need new brakes?!?!
wasnt sarcastic imo!
I think the !?!? at the end made it seem a bit sarcastic to me, personally. If not then fair enough.
I am quite a sarcastic guy...but that wasnt sarcasm...

the "!?!?!?" was more coz I couldnt find the right smiley to sum up my expression!
I didn't find it sarcastic at all, rather helpful actually! I guess sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet.
Ok I will shush then Smile
What about Mintex pads and discs? What they like?
Depends what ones, the usual ones on EBay are probably not much better than standard.
Ahhh right. I think I'll get Pagid as ECP has them on offer, I'll be taking them off tomorrow for inspection.
Remember to use our 25% discount for ECP Smile
Ohhh thanks for the reminder Scott I will be sure to do.

I have checked through the alloy gap and the pads look very new but the discs look like they have seen better days, the drivers side has bad scoring, would it be better to swap pads and discs at the same time?

Thanks for your help in advance.