306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Is there
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any guides to replacing ball joints on a 1.4 2001??
its the same for all the 306 models chap...
only difference will be the balljoint size

loosen wheel nuts slightly.

jack side up and secure with axle stand

remove wheel

spray some wd40 or similar at the balljoint nut/bolts/joint spindle

undo the pinch bolt.

remove pinch bolt

using a big bar, lever the arm down whilst pushing the hub in...you may need to go up and down a number of times with squirts of wd40 as you go...
you may want to put a thick metal chisel or pry bar in the hub split/gap where the joint seats to open it up a little...doesnt need too much though...
eventually will pop out.

then removed the ball joint via the 3bolts...

refit new bolt and refit in reverse order.

if the old pinch bolt is looking worn, replace also

all the above may help...unless you have a pressed in ball joint...then you need to do the whole arm
Piggy hit the nail on the head! /thread
Thanks guys, giving it a go next Tuesday, never really done anything like this before, seems straight forward enough might just change the brakes while I'm at it, just hoping that ball joint ain't stuck in there!!!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers again!
Just prize that hub apart at the ball joint split and with lots of up and down on the pry bar and wd40 or DoubleTT it will come out
Dont give up easily. They can take time to get out but doesnt mean ot wont come out ThumbsUp
Make sure you replace the ball joint pinch bolt
I said that?!?!
(18-02-2013, 09:20 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: [ -> ]I said that?!?!

You said "change pinch bolt if they look worn"

What swampy is saying is change them no matter how they look. As it is good practuce to.

Safty first
^this. They should be replaced as a matter of course.
Yep they should always be replaced including the nyloc
Well replaced the ball joint no problems tightened the pinch bolt up drove it out my drive and bang, ball joint pops out and driveshaft snaps!!! Obviously dining tighten it enough!!

Lesson learned there, ended up blocking a road too which everyone was getting a bit frustrated with! Haha, what did they want me to do, pick the car up and pop it in my pocket Smile
Don't know why I never checked but the ball joint was the wrong size!!!!

I needed the bigger one, good news is the the driveshaft hasn't snapped, just popped out! Woohoo! New ball joint ordered (the correct one) hopefully get it today and should be back in the game!
Bet youve shagged the driveshaft seal if youve ripped it out.
Keep checking for transmission fluid leaks.
I've order new boot clips too, once the ball joint is fitted its going to the garage to get checked anyway!

What a nightmare tho!
(18-02-2013, 09:34 PM)swampy Wrote: [ -> ]Yep they should always be replaced including the nyloc

Sorry but no. You can do that if you want to be super safe and super anal but that's a grade 10.9 bolt and you've in no way compromised its integrity with the pathetically small Peugeot torque figure. If the threads are shagged then yes, obviously.

Nylocs yes, but then engineering studies always prove inconclusive as to whether it degrades or not. I've re-used them before with no issue.
Use a good quality ball joint, the cheap ones last all of 5 minutes so I'd spend the extra on a branded name like TRW

Ball joint bolts are fine to re-use if in good condition, no need to use uprated ones as the hub's are pinch, The bolts no matter what general mechanics think are not done up at 100 nm of torque. new nyloc thou