306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Storing a car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Didn't know where to put this feel free to move it,

I have bought a new car in using it for the next few days then it will be going in storage for 7ish months all the cars I haven't used have had mouldy seats and belts and smell vile

Any way to prevent this?

Don't want my nice interior going manky

Cheers
try and keep it as dry as possible. de-humidifier in the room where its been kept (if it is inside?) cover seats up with plastic covers and give all the trim a damn good clean so that theres nothing for mould to start growing on.

dryness is the key though
My dturbo has been in a garage for well over a year now and the interior is fine. Guess just make sure its dry in the first place and it stays dry
Bowls of salt and rice. Draw out the moisture in the air. Also these gay wipe things like baby wipes but dry.

This is what we do when we close are lass' parents caravan down for the winter.
It will be stored inside a unit but its a working environment so won't be constantly dry, ill try the rice cheers pal
My 1.8 and 1.4 were fine just being left outside for a few months. Putting rice in would definitely help i would have thought. main thing is just check it now and again just to make sure water and damp isnt getting in!
Well ill be there near enough every day so I can open the doors and things to let it air but I think rice will help
IMO id probably keep it shut for a month at a time cos theres no point sucking all the moisture othe the air to make big hole to let more moist air back in again. obv a small amount still circulates through the vants but doors shut is probably better.

Defo leave a de-humidifier in there for a few days after youve cleaned it.
Yea I see what your saying mate, ill just give it a good clean Inside before hand

Cheers for the advice
Iv stored cars for years and never had a problem with bad smells n things. Iv allways kept them ventilated like if its in a garage i roll all the windows down a little and thay are fine.

But yeah a good clean and make shure every thing is dry before it gets put away will help alot
turning the wheels every couple of months will help too as will making sure its got some fuel and oil and plenty of antifreeze in.

Wash and wax it too before you put it away.
It won't be inured but there's lots of private land I can take it for a run round to keep everything free it's mainly keeping the mould off my nice leather seats
tbh you only get mould problems inside if it gets damp inside so ideally, make sure nothing leaks! Also make sure that nothing has leaked and theres no wet patches in the car.
If possible, jack the car up and leave it on stands with the handbrake off and if its staying outside, take the wheels off and put them somewhere out of the sun.