306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Computer Gurus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My sister in law has a little msi netbook which needs formatting and windows re-installing, this is something I have done hundreds of time with no problems but on her laptop her ex has put an administrator password on the bios so I can't boot from the usb stick.

Is there a way of resetting this password, I have tried removing the cmos battery but as there is no jumper to clear the bios memory it didn't work.

Any help much appreciated and rep to whoever has a solution that works.
try geekforums or ocukforums mate.
Will do mate, cheers. I registered for the msi forums yesterday but they were bloody useless, despite me explaining that there was no way of getting the password I had a staff member telling me that I was a fool for not having it????
whats the model number etc
Its an MSI U135DX
Pull the main battery and CMOS battery and leave it for like 24 hours... Should reset it, make sure that's not the only CMOS battery though...
(10-02-2013, 03:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Pull the main battery and CMOS battery and leave it for like 24 hours... Should reset it, make sure that's not the only CMOS battery though...

Cheers bud, I'll try that now and report back tomorrow!
Goes without saying lol, make sure it's not plugged in lol.
(10-02-2013, 03:24 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Goes without saying lol, make sure it's not plugged in lol.

You say that, but some people NEED to be told! Doh lol
Yeh there must be hardware reset. What has been said above should work! Big Grin
(10-02-2013, 03:24 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Goes without saying lol, make sure it's not plugged in lol.

Lol! Its completely unplugged with no cmos battery or main battery. Fingers crossed but what a git for setting a password in the first place.
doing that should reset it, old CMOS batteries dont have static ROM for saving passwords iirc.

If not, there will be a way to find the default password, although, that will be more tricky.

Also with a quick googling, it appears if you flash the bios this will also wipe the password. True story, but unless they have a windows tool to do it, its gonna be tricky, but have a read of this link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161541.0
Just thought I would update this, none of the above worked so i put the drive in my pc and wiped it then installed windows and swapped it over. Chucked up a few blue screens but got there in the end!

(10-02-2013, 10:52 PM)Fooby Wrote: [ -> ]doing that should reset it, old CMOS batteries dont have static ROM for saving passwords iirc.

If not, there will be a way to find the default password, although, that will be more tricky.

Also with a quick googling, it appears if you flash the bios this will also wipe the password. True story, but unless they have a windows tool to do it, its gonna be tricky, but have a read of this link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161541.0

I tried this but the problem was that it still required me to load the rom to a bootable usb drive which I couldn't do. The other issue was that the windows based bios flashing tools wouldn't detect the motherboard properly.

Cheers to everyone for trying though!!!
glad you got it sorted Big Grin