306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: VAG Help required!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay I had a problem a few weeks ago where the steering wheel was 'rocking' from side to side when I come off the accelerator so I booked it in at a local garage, mechanic took it for a spin and noticed it straight away, came back stuck it on a ramp and he found that it had *VERY SLIGHT* play in the steering rack but not enough to affect it that way. When he looked at the tyres he noticed that the driver's side tyre had collapsed!

When I say collapsed I mean the wires had actually come out of the inside of the tyre, booked it in to have the tyres replaced up front when they took the driver's side off it was egg-shaped so replaced the fronts and it cured it for a while, however I went out last night and the problem is back again this time even worse than before I tried putting a bit of air in the tyres and it lessened the effect a little but yet again it's back worse than before.

What on earth could be causing it? If I go around a left hander I have really stiff steering but if I turn right the steering seems fine?

If someone could let me know what it's more than likely to be as to be honest I'm sick of throwing money at it in an effort to cure the problem. I do know the tracking is slightly out too but it's not out enough to cause any undesirable effect.
Steering rack completely knackered, power steerin pump ?? Ummmmm something caught and bound in the suspension or wheels ?? shocks failed ?? Could be anything pal :-(
It's not a power steering model - Base model without any of the abbreviations no PAS, ABS, AC, EW, EM, just good old fashioned BASIC. Sad
Control arms ?? Sway bars is a good bet if it's a VAG or axel problems :-)
What speed does it happen? Does it happen straight away or when it gets warm?
Straight away and at any speed really but more pronounced at speeds of 30+
I wud say a tyre again, jack it up and spin the wheels,
Is this since you crashed it??
(07-02-2013, 07:49 PM)swampy Wrote: [ -> ]Is this since you crashed it??

Well it's been going on since I *BUMPED* it wouldn't go as far as say crash to be honest it was only a low speed nudge but it was also going on before the nudge, hence me getting the tyres changed so not a f*cking clue and Club Polo being like it is normally you stick a question on there 37 views but not one reply. Hence the reason every forum bar 306OC is absolutely f*cking useless.
What year is tha car? Does it clunk wen u brake
play in the wheel bearing?
Nah it don't clunk which is odd when I think about it as my left hand side brake pads are very nearly dead (possibly already are!) but my right ones are meaty as f*ck, but I do need to change the discs and pads together as the right side is pitted to f*ck!

And there don't seem to be any play in the wheel bearing and there's certainly no groaning that I know to (other than my back brake drums which always groan!)

DAMN IT! Why do you ask me to point things out I seem to be running into a bigger to-do list than I first thought!

What needs doing:

Discs & Pads up front
Shoes at the rear
Handbrake travel needs looking at/adjusting
Steering
Tracking
Suspension (Way too bouncy even I get travel sick in it!)

Not sure of anything else *AT THE MINUTE*
Scrap it.
(07-02-2013, 10:31 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Scrap it.

Beat me to it by 10 gosh darn minutes. Swine. Tongue

Or maybe even only 5 minutes. Forum time is different to my computers clock for some reason!
Well I have just done all the maths to find out how much it's gunna cost me to put it through the MOT which is up next month and that's based solely on the things I need doing to it, using the cheapest parts I can possibly find...Grand total of £513.18...I don't want to get rid of the car but it looks as if that's going to be the only option Sad
Cheap old cars don't work out so cheap come MOT time unfortunately....

Some people are lucky, granted, but not.the majority of us....
I had a Mondeo that was perfect only paid £425 for it was cheap to run/insure etc took it for the MOT was absolutely shitting bricks got to the MOT station and got the news I was dreading to hear 'Unfortunately we have had to fail it!'

Bloke went on to tell me that because the rear bulb was defective they had to fail it as it was raised on the new style MOTs fitted a new bulb and re-tested it on just that...total £2.37 plus the MOT fee!

Second MOT I wasn't so lucky cost me £287 to put it through Sad

Never got to MOT the Primera or the 306 as they both died.
(07-02-2013, 11:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Cheap old cars bought by the sort of people who shouldn't be allowed cars in the first place don't work out so cheap come MOT time unfortunately....

EFA

Even a small bump can cause chassis damage, my shed was fetched up against a snow drift at ~5mph by the previous owner, now she pulls to the left permanently, tyres wear unevenly etc. Not by much, but by enough that I noticed.
Is someone trying to say I shouldn't be allowed in cars?

5 years driving, 3 accidents:

2008 - Driver went into the side of me attempting to reverse out of a garage forecourt...Too busy to notice me while he was on his mobile phone garage had 2 exits no need to reverse. (NON FAULT)

2010 - Elderly lady plodding along at 10mph despite it being a 30mph speed limit, same elderly lady knew her brake lights didn't work but proceeded to drive 90 miles to come on holiday, I was the unlucky twat that rear ended it because she didn't have brake lights (YET IT WAS DEEMED MY FAULT)

2011 - Elderly bloke went into the side of my car while I was parked because he failed to look in his mirrors, despite causing £700 worth of damage he failed to realise he had hit anything and proceeded to drive off (DEEMED NON FAULT - Driver was found by police and charged with driving without due care and attention and leaving the scene of an accident)

Latest was unavoidable, if you had seen the condition of the road you would understand how I lost control and hit a bank. My driving history are genuine accidents, I consider myself to be a confident, adequate driver. I did a driving test with a ROSPA & IAM accredited Police driving instructor to enable me to drive a minibus for SJA and scored top marks. My driving is not at fault.