306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Any electricians or gas fitters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right serious post time! (makes a change!)

Basically, my uncle is a cu*t.
My great nan is in the process of selling her house so she can move in with my nan. They had someone come to look at the house and the surveyors report basically said the cavity wall insulation isnt up to scratch. Ok no worries get it sorted! This is where my cu*t of a uncle comes in. He reckons he can do it for a lot less than any company can do it. 20k down the line and he has done the insulation as well as rewire the entire house and redo all the plumbing....cun*t right?
Heres what im worried about. He hasnt got a qualification to his name and hes done all this work. Now i know for a fact that even removing a cover from a gas boiler is illegal unless your gas safe registered and likewise, any work carried out on a electrical installation has to be signed off by someone with part P. My problem is, my nan has stupidly paid him for this work and it will never get signed off and therefore isnt worth a penny when the surveyors come back and it comes to selling the house on. More worryingly, he's been working with gas piping which hes not qualified for and if the house ever sells, ultimately my nan is responsible should that installation fail and someone dies because of a gas leak.
Basically, i want to know who i can report him to for both working on gas and electrical systems? I dont give a f*ck what happens to him so if he ends up in prison over it, so be it but im just not sure who i can tell. Hes also not a company at all. Just doing it as cash work.

cheers
Not that it answers your question, my old mans mate is a gas plumber. Can give you his number to sign it all off if you like?
Surely you tell gas safe and niceic?
(27-01-2013, 07:10 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Not that it answers your question, my old mans mate is a gas plumber. Can give you his number to sign it all off if you like?

After reading about, its not like electrical work where you can do the work and get someone to sign it off when it comes to gas. Its still illegal to do the work your self.
(27-01-2013, 07:11 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-01-2013, 07:10 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]Not that it answers your question, my old mans mate is a gas plumber. Can give you his number to sign it all off if you like?

After reading about, its not like electrical work where you can do the work and get someone to sign it off when it comes to gas. Its still illegal to do the work your self.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/re...orker.aspx
tell you Nan to ask her solicitors about an indemnity policy she could get one of these and that just says squat to all the certificates the others are asking for in gives here an insurance if things are wrong Wink
No-one is going to buy that house now, you're uncle has completely f*cked her over.

The buyers solicitor/surveyor will check for certificates, find out it's all be done illegally and stop the sale.

It's not right, it's dangerous as f*ck and your uncle is a complete lady garden.
(27-01-2013, 08:22 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]No-one is going to buy that house now, you're uncle has completely f*cked her over.

The buyers solicitor/surveyor will check for certificates, find out it's all be done illegally and stop the sale.

It's not right, it's dangerous as f*ck and your uncle is a complete lady garden.

Completely agreed and this is why i want to tell the relevant people. What i have said isnt the half of what he has done but most of it is something i wouldnt do to someone i had never met before let alone my own family.
Your best option might be just to ask/advize her to get someone to come out and check everything.
iirc its around 60-70 quid for the check atleast that way a certificate will be handed out,

if its a fail they cap the Meter... ifso then make him pay to have it put right by someone who is qualified to do so,
Something similar happened on the soaps recently ( the lady watches it i just dont have alot else going on right now) some guy fiddled with friends boiler cause it wasnt working and ended up filling the place with carbon monoxide, she passed out etc and he was going to get in trouble cause its major illegal

And that's fildding with a boiler not full on re-pipe, why did he redo all of that anyway? you said it was just the wall insulation not up to spec
i wont go into details but basically he ripped the walls apart to re insulate (remember, he knows f*ck all....us normal lot would get the pros in who would inject it) and decided it needed rewiring and plumbing redoing while he was there and my great nan not knowing if hes right or not, agreed to pay for it. now, the entire place has been re wired, re plumbed (including a gas boiler, oven and fire) at a large cost to my nan when it didnt need doing and its all useless because none of it has been done by someone who can sign it off so basically he has made the situation substantially worse.
Basically, i want to stop him doing what hes doing. Its one thing doing a bit of electrical work in your own home...realistically, most of us do it but messing with gas when you dont know what your doing? thats just idiotic and i want to stop him before he kills someone. Hes the type of bloke who never has a job but just does all sorts for anyone he meets down the pub.
My dad is quite senior in the NICEIC, i could have a word?
If you would please mate. I know hes in the wrong but i dont know who i can tell before its too late so to speak!
(27-01-2013, 08:46 PM)lozz Wrote: [ -> ]Your best option might be just to ask/advize her to get someone to come out and check everything.
iirc its around 60-70 quid for the check atleast that way a certificate will be handed out,

No it just doesn't work like that anymore.

The person performing the installation must be either working for a part P company or be part P registered themselves.
Having a part P sparky 'check' the work doesn't cut it (and rightfully so)

Having just had my entire house rewired I've done the dance before.
(27-01-2013, 11:26 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-01-2013, 08:46 PM)lozz Wrote: [ -> ]Your best option might be just to ask/advize her to get someone to come out and check everything.

No it just doesn't work like that anymore.

The person performing the installation must be either working for a part P company or be part P registered themselves.
Having a part P sparky 'check' the work doesn't cut it (and rightfully so)

Having just had my entire house rewired I've done the dance before.

hi,
Iwas refering to the Gas install,
I dunno how enthusiastic a plumber would be to sign off gas work that an untrained person has done.

If it blows up or burns the house down the buck stops at that plumber.
thats pretty outrageous mate. nobody should be doing that much work on gas etc. 20k is excessive too!