306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Been offered a car without an MOT, need advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I been offered an X reg 306 1.8 XS in moonstone through a mates dad. Thing is its currently sorned coz the MOT ran out. Its been sat for a couple of months but started and ran for a while every couple of weeks. It looks in great condition, no dents, rust, etc. I don't really want it but its looks worth saving.
Plan is to MOT it, make sure its got tax or stick 6 months on it a sell it on. What sorta cash do you guys think I should be offering for the car in its current sorned state. Cheers
Miles?

Either way if its tidy and there not using it I'd offer 350-400max then tax mot it and hope it passes or just needs minor things and put it up for 950 and make a quick buck
(27-01-2013, 10:35 AM)the milkman Wrote: [ -> ]Miles?

I don't know yet but from what my mates dad was saying about it I don't think the mileage is neither very high nor impressivly low. Gonna go see the guy about the car later.
1.8s are barely worth anything these days unfortunately, unless you can get it for scrap value you probably won't make enough to be worth it.
Get the 1.8, drive and enjoy it. I sorely miss mine. Such a lively engine, with much better balance than the GTi's.
What do you currently have?
Get it, drive it for a bit, and i bet you, you will fall in love with it.

But more on track, as said, if its in good condition, give it the once over, make sure nothing is horrendously wrong, then 450 max, if your adamant to sell then i reckon £950 if its clean with sensible miles
I paid 400 for a DT with tax and test last year, I wouldn't consider paying anywhere near that for a 1.8 without.
They're neither quick nor particularly good on fuel.

You have to ask why it's been sat for months and no-one's bothered to sling 30 quid at it to stick it through an mot.
Theres always a risk when buying a car with no mot.
There could be underlying problems not always apparent when looking over them.
If the car has failed an mot try and get hold of the fail sheet if not you can get them online.

Otherwise have a good look over it and if its all good id say 350-400 max.

As said the 1.8 is one of the strongest engines they put in the 306 bar the diesels. Could be a good buy.
(27-01-2013, 11:18 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: [ -> ]I paid 400 for a DT with tax and test last year, I wouldn't consider paying anywhere near that for a 1.8 without.
They're neither quick nor particularly good on fuel.

You have to ask why it's been sat for months and no-one's bothered to sling 30 quid at it to stick it through an mot.

For a 1.8 they're actually pretty damn good. Arguably the best engine they put in a 306. But thats gonna open a can of worms. Yes they are kak on fuel, but such great engines.
I'd say £400 if it just hanst been MOT'd, but if it has failed, as said try and get a copy of the failure sheet. Dont forget, alot of people will shit themselves when they see failures on an MOT as many arent able to carry out repairs themselves. This means what may cost someone a lot to get a car through an MOT, could cost you relatively little if your practically minded and handy with some tools.
If a car has no tax or MOT I won't buy it for more than £200 because I know I could scrap it and get most of my money back
(27-01-2013, 11:37 AM)Dicky Wrote: [ -> ]If a car has no tax or MOT I won't buy it for more than £200 because I know I could scrap it and get most of my money back

If its that bad he could break it fir spares and make money on it so ill stick at 350-400
I'd offer bit more than scrap. Sorry but without tax n test scrap is all its worth. Will fetch more on eBay. But you never know always worth a try first. Do you know why he never motd it? As stated could be a big problem.
If I was you I'd break it. I need a moonstone drivers door Smile
The drivers door is mine if he breaks it, I posted twice! :p
Was gonna have yours but didnt see the point when it had a dint!
I know what you mean. I would of put mine on already. But don't see point, it's only a tiny dint which is better than paint chip. But ill find one. Just need to be quick! Don't look nice. Smile
(27-01-2013, 12:18 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: [ -> ]I'd offer bit more than scrap. Sorry but without tax n test scrap is all its worth. Will fetch more on eBay. But you never know always worth a try first. Do you know why he never motd it? As stated could be a big problem.
If I was you I'd break it. I need a moonstone drivers door Smile

I was told it wasn't MOT'd purely coz there was no one to drive it. The dad and mum have cars, oldest sons moved on and other son doesn't want it. I'm sure spec-wise its nothing special but hopefully its cheap, and I don't think the guy knows the wheels are cyclones Smile