Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
405 SRDT
Auto Finesse Revive
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(20-07-2017, 09:46 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Quite expensive is right! I think I,ll try some oil on the old girl first then. Either that or try some autoglym stuff as it's a cheaper alternative and I usually find their products to be pretty good.

I've used autoglym bumper and trim gel and find it pretty good.
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2017, 09:53 AM)Anton Wrote: Auto Finesse Revive

(20-07-2017, 05:41 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(20-07-2017, 09:46 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Quite expensive is right! I think I,ll try some oil on the old girl first then. Either that or try some autoglym stuff as it's a cheaper alternative and I usually find their products to be pretty good.

I've used autoglym bumper and trim gel and find it pretty good.

Cheers. I had a look at both of them earlier but neither seems to list specific uv properties? Armour all Matt finish protectant seems cheap enough and has tho so will probably go for that as it's the uv that does most of the damage. There's some other stuff made by 303 that gets rave reviews I saw too but it's about 17 quid a bottle.
Thanks given by:
Not much to report on this but the old girl did just go straight through the MOT with no advisories so I'm a happy bunny. I also managed to pick up one of those cassette adapters for free for the old tape deck and it works really well so now I've got access to 2,500 tunes on my phone with no skipping or chance of a tape jamming in it, bonus!
Thanks given by:
Tidy car that.

This would do the trick on the bumpers. I use it on our R56 mini and it lasts very well.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/cgi-bin/s...#aAFRV0500
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
ah tape adapters! That was a novelty that could only have been around for a few years!
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2017, 11:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: ah tape adapters! That was a novelty that could only have been around for a few years!

You'd think so but no, i've seen Shoguns from 2006 that came with a tape deck.
Thanks given by:
Fm modulators are fairly cheap and cut down on wires hanging out your head unit?
Thanks given by:
Tape adapter in mine too...to an samsung galaxy s3 mini...old tech love it!
Thanks given by:
I had a portable hard drive years ago with MP3 player and fm modulator built in, sadly it got nicked. I've seen the cheap ones but never bought one as was dubious of the sound quality. As it happens a friend has recently swapped his head unit out for a Bluetooth enable one and gave me his now spare fm modulator. It's a bit of a ropey fit in the cigarette lighter which needs addressing and the screen on it is so dim it's virtually useless but it sounds and works ok. I might just see if I can find a better one and go for that instead?
The s6 I bought recently pauses the track automatically when you unplug the lead which I find very handy, plug it back in and you get the option to just press play without unlocking the phone. So may go for the jack plug to modulator option as a half way house?
Thanks given by:
Well, as Photobucket has been an arse and isn't just happy with not linking my photos and has simply deleted them all I decided to try Imgur. It's made more of an arse as all my olf photos are currently on a laptop that the fan has died so can't access them at the mo.
 I took it for a bit of a run the other week and after yet another wash I thought it best to give it a few more miles to help it dry off a bit.

[Image: IurNFOY.jpg]

[Image: Lm6tdlZ.jpg]

A few more and it'll be over the 40K mark Undecided
Thanks given by:
stop it...you tease!
Love the car!
Thanks given by:
Some great photos! Those could have been the brochure ones!
Thanks given by:
Ta peeps. Only a quip snap with the phone. I was going to try a few other settings but it was 3 degrees and blowing like heck up there!

I thought you'd have had it all sorted tbh Sam so didn't think to ask you to change them, maybe next time?
Thanks given by:
wondered where all the pix from posts 1 - 19 went
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2018, 11:22 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: wondered where all the pix from posts 1 - 19 went

Was a bit of an arse Photobucket doing that out the blue but hey ho. I've just replaced the dead links on the first post with the photos above for now as better than nothing Smile
Thanks given by:
I still really like this car. Its a shame there cant be a massive project car thread on it but then again there is no need. This will always be the car i saw "waft" round donny.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2018, 10:01 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I still really like this car. Its a shame there cant be a massive project car thread on it but then again there is no need. This will always be the car i saw "waft" round donny.

I do too tbh! It's always so tempting to wind it up a bit but must resist.... It goes ok as it is actually but the vast majority of the time I just drive it like a pensioner. It's too good to abuse which is mostly the reason I bought it.
As for it wafting, it wasn't on the bends, it was fully understeering right across the track on those tortured old Michelins. It was never, ever the plan to take it out that day but after the Zx getting black flagged after one lap it meant we could at least have a laugh. I think Mr _Volcane enjoyed his goes in it anyway and the other lads I took out, even if it was the slowest thing out that day Smile
Thanks given by:
Just for you Bash, here's a photo of a little project I've been working on today.

[Image: dNyqVXe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2018, 11:02 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Just for you Bash, here's a photo of a little project I've been working on today.

[Image: dNyqVXe.jpg]

yaaahhh rust now its a proper thread.  Rofl
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
French rust too I'll have you know. A NAD ZX 3 door no less.

[Image: QYF5ttQ.jpg]

Should be around a while longer too now? Smile
Thanks given by:
Nothing in this whole section of the forum for nigh on a month Sad

Bash, the sill turned out ok with the slightest skim off filler. After a bit of CAD.

[Image: Jue5IZp.jpg]

[Image: UDs7mF7.jpg]

With a load of internal repair obviously.

[Image: RGQMPhF.jpg]

I was quite happy with this photo too tbh Smile
Thanks given by:
Great photo and looks like a great job too! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
nice work mate Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
shes still a grand old bus.

top work paul for keeping her going!
Thanks given by:
Cheers you lot Smile

I put it over the 40K mark yesterday tho Sad

I've had a jiffy bag arrive with two bits to get the dash nearer to being spot on. The hazard switch isn't perfect for some reason and nor is the tiny bit of trim above the heater vents. I'll let weather conditions warm up a bit first to help with the fragile plastic situation.

Other than that, during OMGFSNOKAOS the other week I can report that with the dash showing -4 and after not being started for at least a week and a half, one heat and she fired up on the first touch of the key! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If anyone's interested in one of these there's an identical one on Ebay at the mo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323364859560?...1557.l2649

It crawled out the woodwork a little while back and has an amazingly low 22K ish on the clock :-O It did have some lacquer peel on the roof (being sorted) and there's a dent in the sill but other than that it's a very tidy car. Both were parked next to each other for a while at Pugfest, it took all of about 3 mins for my old man to try and get in the wrong car  Rofl

Currently at 3K with 8 days to go! I think I may have to raise the insured value on mine the way this "classic car" bubble is going!
Thanks given by:
I did see that one on ebay and thought of yours. What sort of miles is yours on? Nice to see these are worth a few quid, certainly be interesting to see what this one goes for on ebay.
Thanks given by:
I did see that one on ebay and thought of yours. What sort of miles is yours on? Nice to see these are worth a few quid, certainly be interesting to see what this one goes for on ebay.

Mine's currently on nearly double that mileage at 41k but it drives lovely. I treated it to a pair of Michelin a couple of weeks ago too. Last MOT with no advisories. Puts me in a proper quandary tbh. It wafts along, does everything you need in a car and does it extremely reliably and has at least 200k left in it if looked after...
Thanks given by:
Ok, I appear to have sorted an issue I have had with this lately, fingers crossed and I might as well document it here so someone using Google etc in future has a chance of saving some time with a Peugeot 405 Bosch ABS Fault Problem Diagnostic Trouble Codes etc. AFAIK it's relevant to some 306's too as it uses the Bosch 2e system.

My problem was an ABS light that was locked on, refused to flash at all in the end. It should turn on for a few seconds and then turn off, this indicates that it is doing its self diagnostics and if happy after doing its checks the light should go out and stay out unless it finds a fault. Everyone I talked to about old skool ABS said check the wheel sensors and ABS rings on the drive-shafts first for rust, damage, loose rings (ooer) etc. My only problem with that was that the car is in very good condition underneath so I was somewhat doubtful.

After a bit of searching I found some info about it being possible to flash some fault codes. There is a grey sensor in a black plastic box right by the ABS unit. Apparently you can get a machine to translate the codes OR earth the pin with the visible terminal in it and it will flash the ABS light on the dash, count the flashes, refer to the list of codes et voila...

Diagnostic plug

[Image: 69s1aJv.jpg]

Pump position

[Image: VWz41fG.jpg]

I grabbed the first visible switch I had to hand, earthed one end and stuffed the other into the diagnostic terminal.

[Image: 3Ytp9Bi.jpg]

The sum of that was jack shit, no matter what sequence I tried of earthing the output, ignition off/on/off for a few seconds/on etc with the switch in open or closed position the light stubbornly stayed on. Bugger!

I have previous with old pugs and their fun* electrical gremlins so next I set about finding all the main earth points in the engine bay, removed each one, cleaned the bolts and connectors up and re-tightened. I also cleaned up all the ABS pump connectors with switch cleaner and a small wire brush (with battery disconnected).

[Image: kPdm6sX.jpg]

The sum of that was the sum of sweet FA difference.

I then moved onto the ECU itself. It's located under the scuttle panel and access is really very good even if the looms are a bit fiddly to get back in the right position afterwards. I removed it, sprayed it with switch cleaner but tbh all the contacts looked very good and I was doubtful it'd help. However the ECU did appear to have had water/condensation issues? I really cant fathom out why it showed such signs of corrosion. The panel protecting it was in place, no drains were blocked and I simply can't see how water could get to it!

[Image: 77xhI0B.jpg]

[Image: KgR2SNQ.jpg]

I cleaned up the 3 other relays and another main earth hiding behind the ECU and put it all back together. Still no difference whatsoever. Censored . I was up at a mates while doing these bits and pieces so made use of his lorry pit for 5 mins and had a look at the sensors etc from underneath, as I remembered all looked tip top.

Soooo, sum of it was I took a punt and ordered an ECU off Ebay for 20 quid delivered. It took me 10 mins to fit and I didn't even get dirty and it f*cking works!
That's my Xmas present to myself sorted anyway   Big Grin
Thanks given by: