Matts Td5 disco daily workhorse. Modifications & maintenance ahoy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matts Td5 disco daily workhorse. Modifications & maintenance ahoy!
Cooked the head on my offroader 200tdi disco 1 and got offered this so cheap with MOT and from a source i trust (one of the elderly lorry drivers at work) 

£750 and only needing a pair of rear suspension airbags (keeping the air suspension as i intend on using it for towing) Cannot touch one with this mileage (114k) and in this spec etc etc for under 2k in working condition on ebay etc...

So heres my bargain Td5 disco 2 Smile  dropping her off at the garage later for airbags and an MOT which is up shortly, shouldn't fail on anything.   

[Image: IMG_8130_zpsgqigb6om.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8515_zpsjsuagkvc.jpg]

Currently saving up for a decent trailer and a trailer licence so it can earn its keep Smile   unfortunately its slightly too old for a plug and load remap so just going for an egr blank and decat should free it up abit.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
oh ffs! if you find another let me know! Dont know how people keep finding them this cheap!
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Eeyore Wrote: oh ffs! if you find another let me know! Dont know how people keep finding them this cheap!

Just local word of mouth and who you know not what you know im afraid Smile  i'll keep a look out for ya! I know your after one for your boats.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 01:53 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(23-08-2016, 01:45 PM)Eeyore Wrote: oh ffs! if you find another let me know! Dont know how people keep finding them this cheap!

Just local word of mouth and who you know not what you know im afraid Smile  i'll keep a look out for ya! I know your after one for your boats.

even more so now as ive lost the storage so need to take it from home about 12 miles to water each time i want to use it. Needs to be pretty cheap though. I have considered selling the saab and getting a discovery 3 as a bit of an all rounder but not sure how reliable and how much it would cost to maintain one of those.
Thanks given by:
Disco 3 tdv6 is a fantastic all rounder but tbh for what your hauling its abit of overkill, you would manage better and save a shit load of cash with a td4 facelift freelander (circa 2004)
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
TDV6 is absolutely vile on fuel too!

I would expect around the same economy as your Saab - but the increased price of Diesel... They're just fooking massive, heavy things.

TD5 is nice - watch out for the chassis just crusting up though!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 02:22 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Disco 3 tdv6 is a fantastic all rounder but tbh for what your hauling its abit of overkill, you would manage better and save a shit load of cash with a td4 facelift freelander (circa 2004)

We actually have a 2007 freelander but of course thats reserved for mum driving to work in and isnt allowed to go off road or near salt water....
Thanks given by:
I said a while ago you will find one cheap if you hold on long enough, seen a few of these sat on D1 300TDI chassis and running gear!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Just don't take this one to any pay and play days :p
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I'd fix that up and sack it off asap. Then fix your old one. Those things are just money pits waiting to happen.
Thanks given by:
matt what are the TD5s like to drive? I am eyeing a Possible replacement car, for either the 306 or the metro.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 02:55 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(23-08-2016, 02:22 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Disco 3 tdv6 is a fantastic all rounder but tbh for what your hauling its abit of overkill, you would manage better and save a shit load of cash with a td4 facelift freelander (circa 2004)

We actually have a 2007 freelander but of course thats reserved for mum driving to work in and isnt allowed to go off road or near salt water....

Lend your mum the Saab and take the freelander ThumbsUp

(23-08-2016, 08:59 PM)welshpug Wrote: I said a while ago you will find one cheap if you hold on long enough, seen a few of these sat on D1 300TDI chassis and running gear!

I quite like the more refined TD5 for everyday use, i'll be getting it on a ramp asap to completely strip & clean the underside then treat everything to a good coat or two of hammerite

(23-08-2016, 09:29 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Just don't take this one to any pay and play days :p

Well this one will be dragging the other one there hopefully lol

(23-08-2016, 10:32 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: I'd fix that up and sack it off asap. Then fix your old one. Those things are just money pits waiting to happen.

Only real horror stories with them are injector looms and rust, the rust is curable / avoidable with care & time and most common issues with them have simple solutions nowadays, worth reading up on the LR forums! some very useful info on there which makes owning one alot easier.

(23-08-2016, 11:00 PM)procta Wrote: matt what are the TD5s like to drive? I am eyeing a Possible replacement car, for either the 306 or the metro.

Sluggish like any landrover, but with some carefully placed sound proof matting, regular preventative maintenance and good road tyres they are nice to drive as they have the rear air suspension which when working, works well!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
lend my mum the saab... last time i did that i got a call 10 minutes later ot say it wouldnt start... i then had to fix the landrover... to drive to fix the saab...
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 08:40 AM)Eeyore Wrote: lend my mum the saab... last time i did that i got a call 10 minutes later ot say it wouldnt start... i then had to fix the landrover... to drive to fix the saab...

Check your facebook messenger dude, i've sent you something Wink
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I have drove my dads land rover defender 200, just wanted to know what the TD5 was like, with the extra cylinder.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 08:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Only real horror stories with them are injector looms and rust, the rust is curable / avoidable with care & time and most common issues with them have simple solutions nowadays, worth reading up on the LR forums! some very useful info on there which makes owning one alot easier.

Tell that to the two blokes I've known who have run them and now sold them. The one was a mint ES, lovely truck, all the toys,  he's now trundling about in a Series III which is gaining in value instead of costing him a fortune and letting him down.
Whatever you do, don't run it out of fuel either! If you do, read the manual and follow the instructions, you'll very probably need a spare battery too. They are an utter pig to get going again.
Thanks given by:
Get a proper 4x4 Rowell, Landrovers are massively over-priced because people think a british marque badge is a good thing lol. Plus they're just awful for rot and 99% on the road aren't looked after properly, even the ones that are just become money pits.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
There is massive hate for the TD5 online but really IMO its a good engine, which gives little trouble IF you know how it works and how to look after them.

We have had two on the farm, asside from minor niggles given very little issues and covered ALOT of miles...

Lift pump failure, run it out of fuel, and you will kill the lift pump almost instantly, keep fuel in it, and they will last forever....Either way if it fails, replace it with a GENUINE pump, and it will last another 150k miles provided you keep diesel in it, most of the issues here are caused by replacement with cheesy cheap pumps which fail in no time... Oil down wiring harness again is a common issue, however actually causes very little harm and is easily resolved... Only problem I have had, and have since diagnosed / fixed on other TD5's is hard starting / general starting issues..which has been the starter motor, cranks fine, but tired motor interferes with the closely located crank position sensor, giving all kinds of issues starting... In short, all ours has had is a starter, and a lift pump (lift pump never failed though was starter all along) and its used every day in hard farming environment!

I personally think they drive a million times better than the 200/300 tdi, often spend time in both, and its a very noisy, gutless experience getting back in a standard tdi after running a td5 all day!

Just my thoughts as they are tarnished online for being a disaster, which I honestly disagree with. Most of the problems are lack of understanding for the engine (rare design) and just poor diagnosis vs actual problems...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 05:04 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote:
(24-08-2016, 08:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Only real horror stories with them are injector looms and rust, the rust is curable / avoidable with care & time and most common issues with them have simple solutions nowadays, worth reading up on the LR forums! some very useful info on there which makes owning one alot easier.

Tell that to the two blokes I've known who have run them and now sold them. The one was a mint ES, lovely truck, all the toys,  he's now trundling about in a Series III which is gaining in value instead of costing him a fortune and letting him down.
Whatever you do, don't run it out of fuel either! If you do, read the manual and follow the instructions, you'll very probably need a spare battery too. They are an utter pig to get going again.

I paid £750 for mine so its hardly going to be a money pit lol

I know the bleeding procedure for Td5 and although sitting there priming the pump 2 million times and then cranking it for 30 mins seems excessive, for me it still beats having to open the bonnet and start cracking injectors off.

(24-08-2016, 05:09 PM)Poodle Wrote: Get a proper 4x4 Rowell, Landrovers are massively over-priced because people think a british marque badge is a good thing lol. Plus they're just awful for rot and 99% on the road aren't looked after properly, even the ones that are just become money pits.

Agreed they are overpriced and under maintained by 90% of the regular owners. As stated before i wouldn't even dream of paying the inflated ebay / dealer prices for one. For some reason Td5's are indeed terrible for rot! Hopefully mines not too bad and i can clean / prevent it some more Smile

(25-08-2016, 07:16 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: There is massive hate for the TD5 online but really IMO its a good engine, which gives little trouble IF you know how it works and how to look after them.

We have had two on the farm, asside from minor niggles given very little issues and covered ALOT of miles...

Lift pump failure, run it out of fuel, and you will kill the lift pump almost instantly, keep fuel in it, and they will last forever....Either way if it fails, replace it with a GENUINE pump, and it will last another 150k miles provided you keep diesel in it, most of the issues here are caused by replacement with cheesy cheap pumps which fail in no time... Oil down wiring harness again is a common issue, however actually causes very little harm and is easily resolved... Only problem I have had, and have since diagnosed / fixed on other TD5's is hard starting / general starting issues..which has been the starter motor, cranks fine, but tired motor interferes with the closely located crank position sensor, giving all kinds of issues starting... In short, all ours has had is a starter, and a lift pump (lift pump never failed though was starter all along) and its used every day in hard farming environment!

I personally think they drive a million times better than the 200/300 tdi, often spend time in both, and its a very noisy, gutless experience getting back in a standard tdi after running a td5 all day!

Just my thoughts as they are tarnished online for being a disaster, which I honestly disagree with. Most of the problems are lack of understanding for the engine (rare design) and just poor diagnosis vs actual problems...

Thanks for the positive and informative input there Darren! Completely agree that alot of the internet hate is just from Tdi owners who are afraid of plugging in a diagnostics kit or don't understand how simple a Td5 actually is! The benefits of that extra cylinder are incredible when compared to a regular Tdi.

I think injector seals are another common issue from my reading up, causing diesel in the oil. Also apparently on early td5's the oil pump bolt was fitted with no thread lock and can work loose so worth whipping the sump off for a look.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 05:09 PM)Poodle Wrote: Get a proper 4x4 Rowell, Landrovers are massively over-priced because people think a british marque badge is a good thing lol. Plus they're just awful for rot and 99% on the road aren't looked after properly, even the ones that are just become money pits.

poodle what is a proper 4x4?  If Landrovers are that bad then, why the hell are they so popular? If they are that bad then they wouldn't hold their value and be well sort after would they?.  Also have a massive backing and fan base.
Only reason they become money pits if they haven't been looked after, like everything else.
If you use cheap parts with these things, then yeah you will end up buying twice.
These things are full blown work horses like Darren says. 
As for 99% that are not looked after, then I think you need to really look again. Yeah they rot bad if they haven't been looked after. My dads is 20+ years old and its still in good nick for its age. Also its never put a foot wrong at all compared to the Jeep they had. Which was a lot newer, and expensive to fix, parts are a bastard to get hold of.
So you work that out.

Matt what will you be doing with the disco1? I am toying with the idea of going defender, I am looking at 300s and TD5. But if anything does happen, it will be next year I think.
Thanks given by:
Procta, The disco 1 will become a pure bred toy / offroad weapon now Smile Im looking into creating a 2 seater trayback challenge truck. But obviously that wont be for some time.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
TD5's sound epic with straight pipes and a single resonator on the back...

with a map also obviously.

Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2016, 01:40 PM)welshpug Wrote: TD5's sound epic with straight pipes and a single resonator on the back...

with a map also obviously.

Big Grin

Friend of mine has a modified one, they do sound awesome with a straight pipe! but i will be keeping mine as a sensible everyday usable vehicle so just a decat for me Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 05:04 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote:

Pump the accelerator pedal 10 times i think it is and they will prime themselves up so shouldn't be too bad.
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2016, 05:50 PM)Frosty Wrote:

Pump the accelerator pedal 10 times i think it is and they will prime themselves up so shouldn't be too bad.

Was going to say, these things are a piece of piss to bleed....they have a lift pump? They bleed themselves, and fire RIGHT up....when lift pump stops on ignition on, as Frosty says, just pump the throttle 5 times, and it will cycle the lift pump for 30 seconds...motor will fire right up....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Procta, a jeep is a bad comparison as a proper 4x4 lol. Totally agree with you, they're bloody horrible things. The problem with Landrovers imo is working on them, they're just a pig. My recommendation would be a hilux, but then i wouldn't buy a 4x4 unless purely for utility.

The massive backing and fan base is mostly down to national pride and rose-tinted sunglasses imo. Same goes for a lot of crap cars made in this country, i mean seriously, morris marinas? lol At least most landrovers are a comfortable place to be and can be trusted to withstand light showers.

Ps, i'm very critical of everything (in case you hadn't noticed already Angel ), please don't take it personally. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-08-2016, 07:12 PM)Poodle Wrote: Procta, a jeep is a bad comparison as a proper 4x4 lol. Totally agree with you, they're bloody horrible things. The problem with Landrovers imo is working on them, they're just a pig. My recommendation would be a hilux, but then i wouldn't buy a 4x4 unless purely for utility.

The massive backing and fan base is mostly down to national pride and rose-tinted sunglasses imo. Same goes for a lot of crap cars made in this country, i mean seriously, morris marinas? lol At least most landrovers are a comfortable place to be and can be trusted to withstand light showers.

Ps, i'm very critical of everything (in case you hadn't noticed already Angel ), please don't take it personally. Smile

it doesn't matter to me pal, I haven't took anything personally, The defender mind is easy to work on mind, as it really is a meccano set. that's going from doing the odd things with my dads defender, Not to sure about the disco or freelander mind.
Reason for me looking at one, is for towing side of things. I am thinking on getting my trailer licence too at some point, and want good set of wheels to learn with.
Are there any morris marinas left at all? But every crap car has to be loved, morris marina if its rear wheel drive, can make a good drift car.
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2016, 07:09 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(25-08-2016, 05:50 PM)Frosty Wrote:

Was going to say, these things are a piece of piss to bleed....they have a lift pump? They bleed themselves, and fire RIGHT up....when lift pump stops on ignition on, as Frosty says, just pump the throttle 5 times, and it will cycle the lift pump for 30 seconds...motor will fire right up....

Must be just me then? Even after the owner went and got a brand new Yuasa battery we had to go thru the procedure to get it to start repeatedly, it was firing but just refused to run.
Handy that it doesn't state anywhere in the manual that you need to pump the throttle pedal repeatedly to get the lift pump to cycle!
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update..

Ordered two new rear suspension airbag's yesterday (£108 delivered inc VAT!)

Also managed to get underneath it for a proper look around... very happy to report there is no rust! have been advised by a friend (mot tester) that with the suspension fixed it should sail through test Big Grin
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
i'd lurve a MK3 Marina. Provided I could get the rot sorted & bin the running gear for something better. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAT5jhDz28 Wink
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matts cheapo saxo track bapper VTR/S Matt-Rallye 23 7,190 14-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Matts 106 GTi Turbo. Matt-Rallye 118 27,860 10-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  Pugloves 300TDI Disco puglove 64 14,263 08-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Last Post: puglove