The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16)
(18-09-2016, 05:42 PM)Frosty Wrote: The threads WILL go all the way through. It's just with some brakes the bolts don't go all the way into the threads so the threads get dirty and then struggle to get the bolt to go all the way in. Best bet is to run a tap or thread chaser through the threads to clean them up then the bolt will go in fine.

I did this; the actual space for the bolt narrows and is threadless... 

I'll try use a chaser and ram/cut it through, see how that goes
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2016, 06:36 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(18-09-2016, 05:42 PM)Frosty Wrote: The threads WILL go all the way through. It's just with some brakes the bolts don't go all the way into the threads so the threads get dirty and then struggle to get the bolt to go all the way in. Best bet is to run a tap or thread chaser through the threads to clean them up then the bolt will go in fine.

usually the case as Frosty says - tap will sort it out. m12x1.5 iirc

project progressing well dude, hows the turbo plate going?
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2016, 06:40 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:

usually the case as Frosty says - tap will sort it out. m12x1.5 iirc

project progressing well dude, hows the turbo plate going?

Yeh, will give it a bash!

First plate is done (see previous page) 

Other 2 plates: manifold from RH5 are at the machine shop which they're knocking up.
Shouldn't be long til they're done
Thanks given by:

I would be very surprised if the threads don't go all the way through. It's surprising how dirty the threads will get. I had to do it when I fitted hdi brakes on my 205.
Thanks given by:
Update:

Chucked all fluids in - coolant is holding, oil is dripping out (slowly) from the main turbo oil feed (as it's temporary bunged up), apart from that, a clean start and runs well.

Any keen ears, i've not touched the pump so as far advancing/retarding - it seems to be running clean and well? Any comments, please do let me know.

EDIT: Oh, and the squeak on the down run is the aux belt - it's pretty old, need to look at getting a new one ordered and fitted... 

EDIT EDIT: Note there's no exhaust manifold on either.. hence it sounding very deep

this is how it'll be looking on the road.... obviously with wheels and the bumper attached, but you get the point... Oh, and the got the brakes on - it did just need ploughing through with a bolt - fair amount of cranking on the gun and a hot bolt and smoke, but it went through on the threads

[Image: 63vrdIG.jpg]

And the cosy bay.

[Image: mY0ITAT.jpg]

comments and criticisms welcomed.
Thanks given by:
Im a noob...what is the fascinating aluminium flask type device on the rhs? (a filtered oil heater perhaps?) and what does it do ?It sounds sweet enough! enjoying your project....
Thanks given by:
Oil catch can, just catches oil vapour rather than going through the engine. Pointless some would say.
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2016, 02:42 PM)allye Wrote: Oil catch can, just catches oil vapour rather than going through the engine. Pointless some would say.

This.
Not pointless when you're running an aftermarket 'intake' setup.. It's got to go somewhere... I'm not using it to be fancy, you can tell from the entire build that it's not a fancy project Smile

But yes, in some motors, they can be pointless, for this, I'd have to disagree
Thanks given by:
He means pointless as most of us just stick the pipe facing down lmao

Good to have a read and see progress Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
and heres me thinking it was going to be a heater matrix plumb in (with the two connectors on the top to gently thin the stocking filtered WVO just in time for t` winter...
I actually need the pipe that runs from the oil fill  fitment to the air filter box on my XUD9TE project...in a n/a 405, Unclebeasts sleeper! It will have the crumpled rat look, matt black steels, poverty spec no aircon etc "Style" is the name, but in reality its a low mileage(both rolling chassis and engine) minter! and I aim to make a little coal and 100hp+ would be nice. 

Im 60 this year and never done anything like this but its all down to that Lobb Chap actually, and the brilliant xud!

Its a budget job from start to finish but LCS Louth have been great for the new oem bits so far (on ebay) old stock on ebay!

Mind you this 205 rat well its ticking all the boxes for the epitome of a wolf in sheds clothing...which is exactly what I have in mind for mine
Thanks given by: Matt-Rallye
(26-09-2016, 06:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: He means pointless as most of us just stick the pipe facing down lmao

Good to have a read and see progress Smile

Ah, yes! I'm with you now!  Rofl

Thanks for the comments! 

Going to attempt to drive this under its own steam this weekend...
Thanks given by:
So this happened the other evening after picking up some wheels. So eager to get it on the ground again. AND the rear brakes weren't seized. Double win!

[Image: j1zV8dt.jpg]

Next step, this weekend, put rear 14's on also, bleed brakes throughout, give it a drive under it's own steam... with no exhaust manifold on....just to make sure he's all well!
Thanks given by:
leave that as it is and you have a right sleeper!
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2016, 01:12 PM)procta Wrote: leave that as it is and you have a right sleeper!

Apart from adding the OEM bumper, that's exactly how it's going to sit
Thanks given by:
Hi Ginge. Had my 205 in bits last week and thought you might benefit from doing a couple of the mods I did to make mine drive better.
1 - Check clearance between body's bolted on gearbox hanger and clutch cable mounting bracket. I had these knocking into each other and causing a banging when on the clutch biting point. I've cut the corner off the body bracket.
2 - Loosen the 2 bolts holding the gearbox rubber mount to the body mount and lever the whole engine and box across towards the drivers side, then tighten in place. This helps with preventing your nearside outer c.v joint bottoming out on right hand turns.
3 - If you still get a knocking on right hand bends, fit 309 bottom arms to give that nearside c.v some room. As the car is lowered it straightens the driveshafts out and shoves the plunge joints in on the outer c.v joints. The 309 gti subframe and better located arms have stopped this compression. Set tracking up as a 309 gti. Hope this helps...Luke.
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2016, 08:12 PM)399road Wrote: Hi Ginge. Had my 205 in bits last week and thought you might benefit from doing a couple of the mods I did to make mine drive better.
1 - Check clearance between body's bolted on gearbox hanger and clutch cable mounting bracket. I had these knocking into each other and causing a banging when on the clutch biting point. I've cut the corner off the body bracket.
2 - Loosen the 2 bolts holding the gearbox rubber mount to the body mount and lever the whole engine and box across towards the drivers side, then tighten in place. This helps with preventing your nearside outer c.v joint bottoming out on right hand turns.
3 - If you still get a knocking on right hand bends, fit 309 bottom arms to give that nearside c.v some room. As the car is lowered it straightens the driveshafts out and shoves the plunge joints in on the outer c.v joints. The 309 gti subframe and better located arms have stopped this compression. Set tracking up as a 309 gti.   Hope this helps...Luke.

Hi Luke,

Thanks a huge amount for this - could help a great deal!

Small update - didn't have a great amount of time this weekend due to house buying and sorting finances and starting a new business up consuming my time....

BUT, got to the 205 @ 15:00 - by 17:00 had the gearbox off whilst keeping the O/S driveshaft etc assembly in situ. which saved a bit of time.

HOPING this sunday to get the clutch off and ensure that's being refitted correctly, then double check everything as i go along..
Thanks given by:
Small update; in the process of buying a house so time has and will be limited.

Managed today to remove the hub assembly and shaft from O/S.

Removed clutch and pressure plate

Fitted clutch cable which was and is an absolute fecking PITA.

Next week, weather and house peemitting, refit gearbox and clutch. Maybe even reassemble hubs and struts and try the cable again.

2/3 flanges made for turbo also; awaiting third
Thanks given by:
Small update:

Arrive to the car at 12, rain hit at 3, in that time managed to;

- fit pressure plate and clutch
- fit gearbox and mounted it up
- fit clutch cable
- on O/S , fitted driveshaft and bolted it in, strut, hub, brakes, droplinks and steering.

And managed to give her a startup, keep it ticking over. All seems spot on.

Aim for tomorrow, have this going under its own steam.
Thanks given by:
and then get it on the road and hit some mad boost yo!
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2016, 05:14 PM)Eeyore Wrote: and then get it on the road and hit some mad boost yo!

That's the plan Tongue

Well, spent a couple of hours on it this morning.

He's driving under his own steam!!!! Brakes need bleeding , but, gears and clutch feel amazing.

Just need to add boost!

Going to spend the rest of this week sorting out some wiring in the cabin - few gauges which need wiring in.

[Image: 14702431_10157581739255632_6189960341556...e=58AB551C]
Thanks given by:
jdm wing yo!
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2016, 09:50 AM)Eeyore Wrote: jdm wing yo!

Haha! This wasn't intentional, it's how it came. I might white hammerite it...
Thanks given by:
She's looking clean man.
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2016, 10:13 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: She's looking clean man.

cheers! Don't be fooled though, structurally it's very clean and tidy, but it's green and grubby around all the sillls! Inside is tidy though...for a 205 at least.
Thanks given by:
Purchased battery box and measured up how much cable I'm going to need.

Went to a local chandlery who sorted me out and will be making up the cable tomorrow.!

Also, chucked in some break fluid, checked all nipples were free, which they were. Then tomorrow will wait for the mrs to join so she can pump...

Waiting for my friend to get some time to get on with this welding ....
Thanks given by:
leave the wing as it is gingers, proper rat look!
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2016, 05:09 AM)procta Wrote: leave the wing as it is gingers, proper rat look!

Indeed; but I'd hate for people to think it was an intentional JDM wing Sad

The rest is staying the same; the smashed in N/S wing, the slightly orange bonnet and the green moss around the edges
Thanks given by:
Drivable greenhouse, very sleeper. I'm liking it, did you miss Joey then?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 06:02 AM)Dave Wrote: Drivable greenhouse, very sleeper. I'm liking it, did you miss Joey then?

Well, I was speaking to max, and his 205... then Facebook popped up the usual "2 years since this happened" and it was our old 205's...

Then, this 205 diesel came up for sale at scrap price. Put a new MOT on it then started rippjng and refitting. But yes, miss the boosting 205's!
Thanks given by:
Bolted down battery box, drilled hole for power cable and fitted grommet.

And got hold of my cable with the spades fitted at each end .

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Project "KEV"....boosted Mini Piggy 59 18,273 24-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Joey the VNT boosted 205! Tom 1,012 509,580 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard