Cheez's Shed/Workshop/Man Cave Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheez's Shed/Workshop/Man Cave Thread
So I've been meaning to make this thread for a while but as usual kept procrastinating.

Wanted somewhere to show what I'm up to in the shed/workshop. Nothing huge but it's a start.

Will begin the thread with showing how we actually built it, as I'm proud of it and it was a good project for my dad and I, before moving onto the things I'm actually doing. I'll break it up over a few posts as there is a lot of pics.

This is the old shed (8"x12" I think) and area we had to build on. It had gone rotten at the back due to build up of leaves and was starting to get mouldy inside. Also Dad, who will crop up in at least half the pics lol

[Image: ZnRJpwr.jpg]

These are what the shed sits on at the front, can also be seen in the above pic. Due to the slope in the garden we only need while the other corner sits on the old concrete. Think they go about a foot down, maybe more, and have metal rods in them.
[Image: eka3I5C.jpg]

Obligatory pic of Grandad who was also helping :lol This is after we had shifted the old one over so we could start the next step.
[Image: NldrwDW.jpg]

Once the space was cleared and old one moved we started laying down the frame and getting it bolted together and level.
[Image: IGAyt3I.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is now the start of the build. On the Saturday morning all the materials arrived including the insulation as the idea was that the temperature inside would be in a normal range. The old one would become a sauna in the summer.
[Image: wNKUMTI.jpg]
[Image: wwQyHle.jpg]

And we're off! First bits going up.
[Image: 5MuwIMl.jpg]
[Image: z8jGbYW.jpg]
Thanks given by:
**** it's huge!

Is there car access to it? Or just a big garden shed?
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2016, 05:10 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: **** it's huge!

Is there car access to it? Or just a big garden shed?

4mx4.5m I think it works out as.

No car access so just a big shed. As you'll see once I get more posted up, half is mine and half my parents.
Thanks given by:
Shedception! How are you gonna get the other one out now though lol?
Thanks given by:
That's not a shed it's a f*cking bungalow!! It's getting on for the same square footage footprint of my HOUSE!
Thanks given by:
you could rent that out for 2k a month in london.... more when its built!
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2016, 03:59 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That's not a shed it's a f*cking bungalow!! It's getting on for the same square footage footprint of my HOUSE!

Tbf, it's not much smaller than the downstairs of our house lol

(29-03-2016, 04:11 PM)Eeyore Wrote: you could rent that out for 2k a month in london.... more when its built!

Funny you should say that. Our neighbour had a cabin built in her back garden for her son to live in. It's roughly the same width but longer and a bit more homely inside.
Thanks given by:
Ah this is awesome, subscribing to this one! Shame there is no car access. I have a similar problem/situation with where I live at the moment; quite a large house, good sized garden, no car/road access Sad
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2016, 06:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Shedception!  How are you gonna get the other one out now though lol?

We broke it up. The idea was to leave the old one standing for as long as possible as it still had stuff in it.

Just as a note, this was done in July 2014 hence the sun and no signs of Storm Katie.

As you can see, we were never getting it out in one piece with the next step. Bracing put in and made the window frames.
[Image: qpB28Fd.jpg]

If you look carefully on the top left, you can see we've started on the roof once we were done with the uprights. At this point the whole thing was fairly wobbly. (Also, the aforementioned cabin in the neighbours garden)
[Image: 9svNf4x.jpg]

Bracing (right word?) for the roof. I would measure and Dad would cut, which was fun as he used feet and inches and I use mm. That caused some shouting, headaches and a couple pieces to be wrong.
[Image: JDtSFaM.jpg]

All of the plan for this was done by Dad. He worked it all out in his head, figured out what he needed to order and handled it all. I pretty much did as I was told a lot of the time.

It always amazes me as I have to write down or draw these sorts of things so I can visualise my plan, whereas he just has it up there and we just start nailing bits together.
Thanks given by:
I love seeing sh1t like this. Well done mate.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
my mate is like your dad for working stuff out in his head, he build a shed for his allotment. It took him a while as he built it out of pallets he got for free. Was topper in the end mind, he made a part for chickens, as he was going to build a chicken run. We laid the founds using slabs and pallets, Then he started nailing and screwing pallets to the base.
I can see if I can still find a photo of the finished product.
Thanks given by:
I swear I've seen this, didn't you post a thread at the time?

Top effort though
Thanks given by:
Awsome mate,everyone needs a man shed.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
That's not a shed, it's a barn!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2016, 07:16 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I swear I've seen this, didn't you post a thread at the time?

Top effort though

I may have put it in a previous man-cave thread that was in the lounge but don't think I ever did a thread on it. Unless you follow my instagram?

Starting to get the roof on. Was "fun" lifting the boards up high enough so Dad could grab them

[Image: 34WS69w.jpg]
[Image: 2zQNh3n.jpg]

A slight mishap with the nailgun, not sure which one of us did this. Probably me aha
[Image: xsFlDaz.jpg]

Here is how it was once all the boards were on, which means we could start dismantling the old one. More on that in the next update.
[Image: NFty4lX.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Starting to look really good mate.
Thanks given by:
So I'm shit and taking forever to update this! Luckily it went up quicker than I can write this thread.

Started ripping the old one apart as it was in the way of the final steel beam. Can see on the back wall the mould which is why it was going.
[Image: ftOsmyq.jpg]

Old floor, all rotten and disgusting.
[Image: 4xT4NwT.jpg]
[Image: WUq9kH0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So it seems I neglected to take a photo of the next part. After doing the above we put a steel beam across the middle then used 5x2 beams placed in the channel to support the floor
[Image: WCuPXtO.jpg]

Amazingly the old one still held up, which was surprising as I never had much faith in the strength of the roof
[Image: 08YaheH.jpg]
Thanks given by:
can me and the ZXR come and invade over the winter? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2016, 10:43 AM)PocketFighter Wrote: can me and the ZXR come and invade over the winter? Big Grin

Haha there isn't really the access for that. Managed to get my old moped in the garden through the kitchen just about.
Thanks given by:
Aww, thought you'd finally updated this again when I saw it in the New Posts. Didn't you finish this last year? lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2016, 08:14 AM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Aww, thought you'd finally updated this again when I saw it in the New Posts. Didn't you finish this last year? lol

2 years ago lol

Did I make you look again Tongue
Thanks given by:
FFS man, just get this thread up to date already! Rofl
Thanks given by:
Started getting the sides on. This really strengthened it all up as it was a tad wobbly before Undecided
[Image: JCFciGY.jpg]
[Image: CqRJE4i.jpg]

Got the small window put in once the sides were on and we started on the back
[Image: CtJzFtH.jpg]
Thanks given by:
2 updates in a week? This is so unlike me Tongue

The sides and back are 99% on at this point , think just the top pieces were needed. Front window was also put in. The front of the roof line looks bent in the pic, but it's not.
[Image: HKa08Hm.jpg]

Now we got to start on dismantling the old one and it really surprised me as I thought it would fall down as soon as we gave it a shove, but it seemed not!
[Image: LlzSbV1.jpg]

Even with all the support along one side removed that roof would not come down, even with us leaning on it.
[Image: 9md5yzH.jpg]

Pulled more off to get it down and still with both of us smashing at it with a club hammer we could not get it to break along the back. Due to the roofing we used, it had to be broken up too as it was way too heavy to move otherwise.
[Image: 5rDR9Fy.jpg]

Finally down!
[Image: ICVIV4P.jpg]

Just the base left now, and half was rotten so it came apart pretty easily.
[Image: z5X9YRs.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So how much longer you gonna drag this thread out for then dude? lol
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2016, 06:06 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: So how much longer you gonna drag this thread out for then dude? lol

I'm trying not to end up with too many pictures on one page tbh so it actually loads in for some people.

There's still a few more to come, then I can actually post the few bits I've been making.
Thanks given by:
It's looking good mate but I think you might end up wanting more windows.

I wanna build one now as I have rather outgrown my workshop.
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2016, 11:46 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: It's looking good mate but I think you might end up wanting more windows.

I wanna build one now as I have rather outgrown my workshop.

should think yours would take a nice extension chris!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RetroPug's Man Cave RetroPug 24 5,862 17-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Last Post: RetroPug