Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield...
(10-03-2016, 04:13 PM)ozpug Wrote: This is going to be good.
Ha, thanks. It was supposed to be a cheap turbo transplant but I like stuff to be reliable so it's cost me. At least next weekend it'll be done though and ready for running in. Then it can have a trip round James' place for the power turning up to 11. Should feel mega dangerous on 155 70 13 tyres.
Thanks given by:
Engine and box are in for the last time. Had a performance with n/s driveshaft where the 306 td inner c.v I'd expected to swap over wouldn't work, so after three attempts at different shafts I gave up and swapped the old 1800 none turbo differential into my HDI 306 box. Managed to do this with the box still in the car in about two and a half hours including taking the diff out of my old box, but had to mess about dropping engine mounts as I didn't want to damage my new radiator and fans with the oil filter being mega close. Fitted stubby Renault oil filter and it's still close. Made up radiator and intercooler mounts and lowered rad at same time for intercooler pipes to pass between slam panel and rad. Today I've made a 3" front exhaust section with a flexi and welded an extra hanger in where it runs behind the subframe. New manifold and front pipe have been made to be easily removable as I've struggled with stupidly put together french cars no end of times. I think it's good to rethink stuff like this while it's in bits and it'll save me some headache in the future. Exhaust looks really industrial but tidy at the same time. I need a few more parts still, mainly a 306 pull clutch arm and also the little plate with the tube on which bolts to the front of the head on the driver's side. I've also fixed a broken wobbly headlamp and fitted new front indicators to replace the crusty ones. Tomorrow I'll finish the exhaust off and have a look at the cooling system. Need a different, smaller header tank too.
Thanks given by:
Yeah simples to just swap diffs over ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, not a bad job. Also forgot to say that I've had to satin black the intercooler as it sits right up against what's left of my grill and bumper. Shiny silver gave the game away so it's back looking like a Mardi gras instead of a GTR.
Thanks given by:
Car should be running this weekend. Battery is now sunk through boot floor in a fabricated box and positive lead runs inside car. I've plumbing for water cooling of turbo and also the turbo's oil return line to mount securely as it's going back in the original through the rear of the block position and will run really close to the gear linkages and manifold. I've found a large header tank for the cooling system and mounted this as high as possible at the back of the bay above the turbo. The front bumper is now a quick release one that can be removed in less than 30 seconds and has been slotted and chopped about to aid airflow to the intercooler. The hydraulic fitting I ran through the front of the sump can now be piped up to an oil breather catch tank once the car's up and running. I'll update this after the weekend.
Thanks given by:
MORE PIKCHAZZZZ PLIZZ!
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Good progress Luke, can't wait for a ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2016, 01:04 PM)Sambarker Wrote: Good progress Luke, can't wait for a ride!

Thanks Sam. Just got a bit of pipework left to sort. I need to secure the oil return pipe from the turbo to stop it falling off if anything ever catches it and I'm waiting for a couple of plastic hose joiners to finish the coolant pipework. Tomorrow I'm starting it up and I can't wait to hear how it sounds. The gauges are all mounted in the passenger side of the dash and have power to them, but need connecting to their senders. I'll send James more pictures for you. Is it stealth enough mate haha?
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2016, 07:07 PM)399road Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 01:04 PM)Sambarker Wrote: Good progress Luke, can't wait for a ride!

Thanks Sam. Just got a bit of pipework left to sort. I need to secure the oil return pipe from the turbo to stop it falling off if anything ever catches it and I'm waiting for a couple of plastic hose joiners to finish the coolant pipework. Tomorrow I'm starting it up and I can't wait to hear how it sounds. The gauges are all mounted in the passenger side of the dash and have power to them, but need connecting to their senders. I'll send James more pictures for you. Is it stealth enough mate haha?

YOu are an absolute hero for keeping it on its original wheels!!
Thanks given by:
Haha. Everyone else said that too. It'll be fine and slow down wear on the clutch. At least the shredded tyres will be cheap to replace.
Thanks given by:
Got car started up and engine sounds fine. There's been a problem with the pump which is my fault for leaving it full of wd40 instead of diesel ( should have listened to James ). He's come to the rescue though and rushed to rebuild it before he goes on holiday. What a star! Now it'll be running properly on Saturday and can have its oil and filter changed. Dash needs rebuilding following gauge wiring and it's about there then. 3" exhaust is dead quiet too at tickover and light throttle, so will be perfect for traffic light grand prix haha.
Thanks given by:
This is epic ! Hope to build something lie this some day. Get some pictures up dude
Thanks given by:
Hehehe wait until the vanes open up!

Barp!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2016, 10:55 PM)MY95 Wrote: Welcome! Plans sound good, I'd definitely be looking at a brake upgrade after all those mods mind! 266s are the next step up but need 14s to clear the callipers

14inch saxo wheels as well as standard 106 alloys clear the calipers on 266 hdi brakes..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Got pump back on and revving up now after tweaking max fuel screw. All dash gauges work ok but latest problem is that the turbo has sprung an oil leak. Probably my fault as I've not got an oil restrictor in the feed pipe and my return pipe to the sump would benefit from a scavenge pump with the pipe not having the required angle of dangle. These are the next two jobs to carry out. Gave it a few gentle blips too and it sounds awesome, but then returns to sounding standard at idle apart from a feint whistle when stood behind it.
Thanks given by:
Which turbo is it?
Only the ball bearing turbos need a restrictor...but the drain needs to be very good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, no restrictor required on the GTB2056VL... If it's spewing out it'll be the drain backing up or the seals are wrecked, but I'd highly doubt the latter...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hi, had a better look today and it's my pipework that's leaking, NOT the turbo. I'm still going to fit a scavenge pump to the return pipe though and run it back through the hydraulic fitting I threaded through the front of the sump. This will get rid of my leaking pipe and tidy up behind the engine. Had to adjust my fabricated exhaust and then had it running for 20 minutes or so today and changed it's oil which has dropped its oil pressure to 55psi at idle from the previous oil's 80psi. Original start up oil was full of Graphogen assembly paste which would have bumped that pressure up. Anyway, motor's good, James' pump is good and Piggy's turbo's good so next weekend it's tune and test day.
Thanks given by:
Had little 205 up the road earlier this evening and was dead impressed. I turned the boost up a little and it feels strong. Engine pulls smooth with no smoke or diesel knock and turbo makes all the right noises and that's just when driving steady. It comes in really smooth with no lag. Just need to sort that slight oil leak from my pipework and then run it in properly. I couldn't see how much boost it was running as the roads were wet and I was watching the road/ listening for noises/ watching for smoking etc.
Thanks given by:
sounds epic Big Grin

club fund to get this guy a camera with video capabilities? would love to see
Thanks given by:
Haha thanks, but I'll get pictures figured out soon. Used to be able to post them but something changed and now it won't work. Got my mate on it tonight as I keep trying and failing. Can't wait for next drive once scavenge pump is on. Rush of power will be tempting but I'll be running it in properly as I've put some money into this engine and need to crack on with my other car builds soon. Car feels like a big six cylinder and feels like it's factory built ( but not the Peugeot factory lol ).
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2016, 04:58 AM)399road Wrote: Haha thanks, but I'll get pictures figured out soon. Used to be able to post them but something changed and now it won't work. Got my mate on it tonight as I keep trying and failing. Can't wait for next drive once scavenge pump is on. Rush of power will be tempting but I'll be running it in properly as I've put some money into this engine and need to crack on with my other car builds soon. Car feels like a big six cylinder and feels like it's factory built ( but not the Peugeot factory lol ).

Awesome to hear we do definatly need some pics of this sounds epic. Just upload them on the pc nice and easy then. The tapafail heap wont let me upload anymore either
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
coming to FCS or Pugfest?

Would love to see this beast in the flesh Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: WP_20160320_16_30_07_Pro_zpsuarjrzu5.jpg]

[Image: WP_20160320_16_41_38_Pro_zpsnnq3ky9t.jpg]
Bit of a sleeper eh?

[Image: WP_20160502_15_55_57_Pro_zpswyb3hi90.jpg]
Look at stealth 3" exhaust.
Thanks given by:
Looks absolutely awesome, I'm loving the backbox!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
[Image: WP_20160502_16_08_16_Pro_zpst3a5jiwj.jpg]
Not got many decent pics yet, but here's the best under bonnet one out of a bad set of pics....
Thanks given by:
Blacken those silicon boost hoses so it can't be easily seen through the grill and that'll be perfect... I love the way you've kept it looking completely standard even down to the steelies with hub caps ThumbsUp

(how well it'll put down the power with said skinny wheels is another matter entirely though!)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Already thought about that and got some black duct tape for them next time the bumper and grill are off. I've removed that sticker from the bootlid too. It's got a dash full of gauges that need toning down a bit once it's finished.
Thanks given by:
Oh my goodness, that is rediculous
Thanks given by:
Dude thats epic. love the extra mile youve gone with mounting the intercooler and the rad. looks proper tidy. hats off to you sir
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,900 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END procta 621 209,005 07-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 54,087 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13