306 Estate GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 Estate GTi6
(02-11-2015, 01:38 PM)ronj Wrote: Cully. By the way your electronic projects are a great inspiration to me!

why thankyou Smile

I'm glad I have made some useful input

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
This is an awesome build.

would you be interested in building that exact screen mod, but make it plug and play for those of us that either cant or dont have the time, Smile it looks awesome. (is it an arduino board?)

plus, what else could you program it to do?

I like the shift lights, nice extra touch. Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
The board is an Arduino "compatible" i.e. it's possible to use the Arduino IDE to develop software for it, but I don't use that. It's also much beefier than an Arduino at 96 MHz with 256K flash and 64K RAM. For the moment I have no intention of making a "plug-and-play" kit for several reasons:

- In this context I am not sure what plug and play would mean, since tapping into the dash would mean soldering anyway and some modifications to the dash are necessary to fit the screen.
- I am no electronic engineer and for that reason can not design a PCB. Something a proper kit should have.
- My free time, just like yours, is pretty sparse Smile.

What I can do is help other people build their own.

I am also open to help or feature requests. Let's just say I can program it to do anything, so any request is welcome to prove me wrong. Short term I would like to (not in order):

- Support "screw-on" type tire pressure monitor systems
- Add a proper menu system to edit some settings (like gear ratio)
- Improve rotary encoder support and maybe support other types of input
- Think about over-the-air firmware updates
- Add a GUI application for configuration (complimentary to the menu system, maybe as a mobile phone app)
- Add high/low warnings for sensors
- Improve/generalize sensor support some more (i.e. support boost pressure/MAP, oil and water temps, oil pressure)
- Add a boot screen
- Log data to a back-end of some sort (maybe using MQTT)
Thanks given by:
this is incredible! unreal what some people can do with electrics
Thanks given by:
wow excellent work ronj.
Thanks given by:
great project, the display is awesome

i cant say im fussed about the trip features, but if that could display something like this:
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
that would be amazing ... and even better fitted to my HDi Smile
Thanks given by:
The Teensy and the display I use are not well-suited for graphics like the above. Memory bandwith, memory size, refresh rate and resolution of the screen are a few of the problems. Nevertheless I am going to try and add different representations for the data Smile. But I don't think it will look like the GTR-style one you show.
Thanks given by:
I thought as much when i found the pic, but i meant a 'ring meter PSI boost gauge'. Ive found a number of arduino projects with similar ring meters and loads of boost gauges using arduino and a 16x2 screen... itd be nice to combine the 2 and as youve prooved a 1.8" tft can be packaged neater in the 306 dash than the bar type screens can

Keep us updated, this is really good stuff.
Thanks given by: Chris HDI
I'd love to have something like this to show oil/water temps, boost readings, etc.
Thanks given by:
I want one in my dash thatll read egt, boost and oil temp.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Great project! Especially all your electric mods.. would you mind posting the translated guide for the radio stalk?

Thanks Big Grin
Thanks given by:
@Tom85 done. I posted it in the Guides section.
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2015, 07:48 AM)ronj Wrote: @Tom85 done. I posted it in the Guides section.

Great, thank you Smile
Thanks given by:
Did some more work towards a driving car.

[Image: Foto-GHMERJAO-D.jpg]

- Fuel system is hooked-up. Swapped the pump over from 1.6 8v to GTi. Got some original fuel lines from a GTi as to have a return line to the tank.
- Aux-belt is put on and tensioned.
- Power-steering system is hooked-up with all original lines.
Thanks given by:
While waiting for parts...

[Image: 360.jpg]

Hooked up throttle cable, battery, ECU and inlet/filterbox. Work that can be done is starting to dry up, so seriously need some aircon pipes.
Thanks given by:
Inlove

i want this for my estate  TMI
Thanks given by:
Looks great

Aircon pipes should be quite easy to find but then again most are broken( corroded)
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Yeah, finding good ones proves to be somewhat of a challenge Smile.

Btw. it's alive!

https://youtu.be/jxWxKqJtUJ4
Thanks given by:
Left hooker?
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Dudes Dutch.
Thanks given by:
Ahhhh explains it Smile

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Recently I bought a tire-pressure monitoring set. This set works by screwing sensor caps on the valve. They measure pressure and temperature for every tire.

This is the set in question.

Now I can use my hack-tools Smile! I bought an rtl-sdr usb-stick (software defined radio). With this set I can pick up the 433 Mhz signal the sensors use to communicate with the display-unit in the car, and add the same functionality to my dash.

The end product could look something like this.

Thanks given by:
Wow, for sure will follow this project closely. Congratz mate, love it..

And that "modern" dash. Well, I want one too *-*
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:
This is awesome! If these replace the valve caps will you be adding a 2nd valve in the back of the wheels to keep it not so obv?

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Wrt. the valve caps it really doesn't bother me that much. I'll take pictures of it later. My only concern is that they get stolen when they are so visible, but without tools that is not possible.

On another note. The car is "done", obviously there are always some i's that need dotting and t's that need crossing. But overall everything functions as it should. The complete install looks very factory fit and I bet most people won't spot that the engine does not belong in this car.

Overall it was a lot more work than anticipated, and for everyone contemplating this conversion (why would anyone Wink): use a 1.8 16v as basis, not a later model 1.6 8v if you can.
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2015, 09:50 AM)ronj Wrote: Wrt. the valve caps it really doesn't bother me that much. I'll take pictures of it later. My only concern is that they get stolen when they are so visible, but without tools that is not possible.

On another note. The car is "done", obviously there are always some i's that need dotting and t's that need crossing. But overall everything functions as it should. The complete install looks very factory fit and I bet most people won't spot that the engine does not belong in this car.

Overall it was a lot more work than anticipated, and for everyone contemplating this conversion (why would anyone Wink): use a 1.8 16v as basis, not a later model 1.6 8v if you can.
My thought was purley for security, such an incredible build. Keep up the good work [THUMBS UP SIGN]

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
that is great. so tidy. I want one but i just have no need for a gti6 estate...
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome

Love the sleeper look.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
So after having driven the car for some miles now there are a few things I need/want to solve:

- There is a rattle from under the gear stick, most apparent when it's in 4th.
- I think the exhaust is way too loud. It's a complete Jetex system from the cat back at the moment. So 2.5" with GTi6 center box and Estate rear box. Maybe want to try and swap the rear box for a derv one. Also compliments the sleeper look a bit more.
- There seems to be a flat spot in power low down the rev-range. From 4000 rpm upwards it pulls good, but low down it's not what I would expect. The speedo is working, so probably not the VSS. I'll try and measure all sensors coming days. I think I'm going to RR it anyhow, see if my feeling matches the figures.

Otherwise handling is excellent, the extra weight of the engine compliment the Bilsteins way better than the lighter TU. Also really like the tires!
Thanks given by:
Awesome progress with this! Really looks the part!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by: