MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
Yeah I got better at it on the next session...but camera battery died after 40 minutes of recording a wall lol so didn't get any of it

I got the wheels aligned a few times but it always seems to be like that, pulls very sharply to the left too so think something is amiss. But the tyres haven't worn away like they would from bad alignment so... unsure
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I'd get that looked at asap, how long has it been doing it? Anything that might have set it off, potholes etc?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Because I'm a yobo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug--K4WHncQ

It's been doing it since I've had the car, will get it taken to a proper alignment place soon hopefully. Could it be the steering rack being off centered?

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Yobbo crew woot woot!!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So... you took it on track like that? I'd love to say you're a lot braver than me, but i'm not sure that's the right word.... Tongue

It could be loads of things - tyres, alignment (probably not that if you've had it done a few times already), binding brakes, mismatched components, crash damage, etc. Need to get under there with a tape measure and a light and have a damn good look at everything, or get a garage to do it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Meh it's been out on track a few times so can't be that bad..whats the worst that can happen #dumdum

French car show is also coming up quick and i've been caught with my pants around my ankles sorting out other peoples stuff so will be a last minute rush

So far:
Wiring for the throttle position sensor snapped while on track, while inspecting a gust of wind blew bonnet off latch and cracked windscreen.
New windscreen has been fitted (got a cool green tint) , replacement plug is on it's way as it snapped in such a way that couldn't solder wires back together
Ordered a rear anti roll bar which should be arriving soon
Budget alternator is being budget, causing grinding noises and possibly influencing the ABS with iffy voltages? I say this as sometimes ABS light comes on at idle or revving the car when stationary and has only been a problem since fitting the new alternator as I recall.

Alas I doubt I'll be getting the ported head in time for the track session which I was counting on for some extra ponies. Might have to resort to weight saving instead.

Thanks given by:
Post FCS write up:

Some pre FCS mods were done to try and get every little bit out of her with what time I had such as. 

Fitting rear anti roll bar (think its made a massive difference in reducing the understeer) 
MG TF steering wheel, smaller and "better" grips. Not keen on it tbh so might swap back 
Thermal intake gasket, try and reduce intake temperatures as the metal inlet gets very hot. 
New mintex oem spec front pads. 
and DYNO Resultssssss

With my own developed remap and all the mods etc it pulled 170hp (at fly) . Now dyno results are always going to be a can of worms as everyone has their own thoughts on the matter but if anything the value seems lesser than what others seem to think vvc engines make. As such im happy with it rather than being overly optimistic. 

The dyno was also brilliant at finding the choke points as the first few runs on the stock map saw 145 hp, sacking off the air filter instantly bumped it to the mid 150s so we checked it and found the filter to be dirtier than Dumdums internet search history, the lack of a cold air feed also doesnt help. contacted ITG to source a replacement intake pipe and they wanted £80 for a silicone S bend! They can fk right off the cheeky lady gardens.

Pulling off the dyno we also saw a wet patch! Oh dear slight leakage spotted. Rather than risking it before FCS a new gasket & cambelt was slapped on 

Track time was disappointing however as something in the brakes cocked up and resulted in erratic braking causing me to loose all faith and ended the session a little early. Pulling off track saw red hot wheels and smoke from the pads. However the handling has never been better, understeer was significantly reduced and if I had confidence in the brakes it could have seriously been a threat to other track goes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
cheers for the passenger ride chap and it really does grip on track. If those brakes had worked it would have been rovertaking people for sure! no winner this year in the rover vs rallye battle :'(
Thanks given by:
Was good to see you and have a brief catch up on Saturday mate, disappointed I didn't get to spend some time watching your track session as this did seem pretty rapid on the M4 on the way home

Roll on next show [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2016, 08:11 PM)Eeyore Wrote: cheers for the passenger ride chap and it really does grip on track. If those brakes had worked it would have been rovertaking people for sure! no winner this year in the rover vs rallye battle :'(

Yeah it's a total shame they failed me but oh well leaves our challenge going on for another year. I did managed to rovertake a 106 gti earlier on in the session. Perhaps the constant on/off meant the brakes had time to get super hot then didnt cool down in time from just sitting in the queue before getting roasted again

(07-06-2016, 12:06 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: Was good to see you and have a brief catch up on Saturday mate, disappointed I didn't get to spend some time watching your track session as this did seem pretty rapid on the M4 on the way home

Nice seeing you too, thanks mate. Think it has picked itself up now with the remap + everything else. Would have had more of a play with you on the M4 but I smacked a pot hole pretty hard just outside combe and now have a popping noise from the suspension so think something is damaged. So was sort of limping it home, not a good weekend for the car at all really.

Thanks given by:
New brakes...come back fighting
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2016, 07:22 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Would have had more of a play with you on the M4 but I smacked a pot hole pretty hard just outside combe and now have a popping noise from the suspension so think something is damaged. So was sort of limping it home, not a good weekend for the car at all really.
Youve got noone to blame but yourself.... oh wait D:
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2016, 07:22 AM)lolsteve Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 12:06 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: Was good to see you and have a brief catch up on Saturday mate, disappointed I didn't get to spend some time watching your track session as this did seem pretty rapid on the M4 on the way home

Nice seeing you too, thanks mate. Think it has picked itself up now with the remap + everything else. Would have had more of a play with you on the M4 but I smacked a pot hole pretty hard just outside combe and now have a popping noise from the suspension so think something is damaged. So was sort of limping it home, not a good weekend for the car at all really.

It does sound like you've had some pretty bad luck over the weekend. Hopefully nothing major though and a simple fix.

Was a nice little ru before we hit the traffic and not long after split off back south anyway Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Nearly a year without a rover update, how have you all survived?  Itwasntme

This has been on axle stands alot this year with little jobs being done when I can after work etc to get it ready for FCS & 'ring

At the moment she's now fitted with

Oil cooler & thermostat plate
Fixed abs sensor (wiring had been worn away by the abs ring )
EBC yellow stuff pads on front
New seals and bleed nipples on front calipers
Electrolysis cleaned caliper, carriers, brake discs
Polybush rear beam mounts
Lots of parts cleaned up and hammerited
Coilovers cleaned and greased
Copper greased bolts for easier disassembly in future
Heat wrapped manifold 
Aircon delete (to remove mechanical drag)
New bolts about the car to avoid putting rusted old slightly rounded ones back on

Soon to be:
Bucket seats - nearly had a set of FIA approved Bimarco seats for a killer price but the seller let someone else view them after I said I'd have them and sold them to him Censored 
Track spec tyres - Thinking NS2Rs for my spare set of 16s just need to find the money after everything else.

Nearly a year without a rover update, how have you all survived?  Itwasntme

This has been on axle stands alot this year with little jobs being done when I can after work etc to get it ready for FCS & 'ring

At the moment she's now fitted with

Oil cooler & thermostat plate
Fixed abs sensor (wiring had been worn away by the abs ring )
EBC yellow stuff pads on front
New seals and bleed nipples on front calipers
Electrolysis cleaned caliper, carriers, brake discs
Polybush rear beam mounts
Lots of parts cleaned up and hammerited
Coilovers cleaned and greased
Copper greased bolts for easier disassembly in future
Heat wrapped manifold 
Aircon delete (to remove mechanical drag)
New bolts about the car to avoid putting rusted old slightly rounded ones back on

Soon to be:
Bucket seats - nearly had a set of FIA approved Bimarco seats for a killer price but the seller let someone else view them after I said I'd have them and sold them to him Censored 
Track spec tyres - Thinking NS2Rs for my spare set of 16s just need to find the money after everything else.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
No servicing in over a year? What a terrible owner.
Thanks given by:
Passed MOT with a advisory being an oil leak , which then got worse on the way home resulting in a nasty puddle a oil light on dash. Turns out oil cooler connector had come loose...so looks like it'll be getting that service then lol

Thanks given by:
thats a shame. Sorry to hear the bad news! Congratulations on the oil leak though!
Thanks given by: